Multiple uses - - new question

Five Bright Stars

I want to try out selling some natural deodorants at an upcoming craft; because this is my first time, I thought that M&P might be a good way to start. 

I could only find a couple of websites selling deodorant M&P and the pricing did not seem very competitive considering the ingredients are few and very simple.

I'm such a tight wag but don't want to be a 'pound' foolish either......what are your opinions?...should I make the deodorant scratch myself......or spend the money for M&P?

Edited by Five Bright Stars

It takes a while to formulate a GOOD deodorant product that is a) effective, b ) has a good “feel” staying usable over time.

So many deodorants  are waxes and oils with baking soda that actually hurt to apply, dry out over weeks, get grainy over time, cause skin rashes, and just plain do not work. 

Don’t rush deodorant. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

It takes a while to formulate a GOOD deodorant product that is a) effective, b ) has a good “feel” staying usable over time.

So many deodorants  are waxes and oils with baking soda that actually hurt to apply, dry out over weeks, get grainy over time, cause skin rashes, and just plain do not work. 

Don’t rush deodorant. 

Do you think that using a Melt & Pour will prevent these issues?

2 hours ago, Five Bright Stars said:

I want to try out selling some natural deodorants at an upcoming craft; because this is my first time, I thought that M&P might be a good way to start. 

I could only find a couple of websites selling deodorant M&P and the pricing did not seem very competitive considering the ingredients are few and very simple.

I'm such a tight wag but don't want to be a 'pound' foolish either......what are your opinions?...should I make the deodorant scratch myself......or spend the money for M&P?

Okay, I can't think of a delicate way to put this, so I'm just throwing it out there - why are you selling a product that you've never made before, never tested, and don't know anything about?

I really think you would do better to back off a bit and do some more research and testing. Most "natural" deodorants, as TT stated above, are just oils, waxes and baking soda. Have you tried any of these on your own pits? IMO they are gross, feels yucky, and don't even work. And let's not even talk about the stains on the clothes. If that's the route you'd like to take, that's fine, some people are will to endure that for the sake of being natural, but you're going to want to test different bases for aesthetics as well as functionality.

If being totally natural isn't as important, BB has a nice meltable base, but it is expensive. I have successfully created my own base with similar ingredients, but it took months of tweaking the recipe to get the feel and performance I wanted. Plus, each fragrance has a different IFRA % that needs to be adhered to, and every fragrance should be tested for discoloration as well as possible irritability.

This is a product that people will be putting on a sensitive area of their bodies, like TT said, you should not be in a rush here. Please, research the bases, practice making it, and test, test, test. You want to have the best possible product, because it is not cheap to make, as you have seen. In order to make any kind of profit, you'll need to set a high retail price, which means every aspect of your product should be on point. Good luck!

• Thanks 1