Spray Painting Jars??

Does anyone spray paint their jars? Ive been spray frosting my jars and I like the way they look, but I honestly cant get past glass separation and frosting. I'm a perfectionist to a fault and looking at them that way makes me batty. So ive been considering a solid colored jar to eliminate that completely. I'm currently using the  Anchor country comfort jars and jars.com seems to offer them in colors, but only in large quantities and it says color spray on the order sheet. So i just want to see if anyone sprays their own and what the outcome is. 

I spray paint all my Ball pint canning jars with Rustoleum's Painters Touch 2X.  The paint sticks really well even through dishwashing.  The frosted spray paint has come off in some places on the jars for me in the dishwasher.  Maybe I didn't spray those jars as well as with solid paint, though.  Paint will scrape/chip off if they rub together.

GoldieMN  

24 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

So you do all in frosted jars Goldie?   I'd love to see a picture! hint, hint.....They must be gorgeous!

Trappeur

No, I tried the frosted spray paint, but it wasn't as durable as solid.  I only use opaque, usually off-white and sand some of the raised areas like the word "Ball".

GoldieMN

jar candles.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, they look like chalk/matte painted jars, but the Rustoleum 2X Satin isn't very shiny.  Helps to dull it when I lightly sand as well.  If the paint gets nicked, it looks like part of the finish. :)  Nope, no finish, just a few thin coats of the satin spray paint.

GoldieMN

Edited by GoldieMN

18 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Can you post a picture of the jar so we can see what your talking about as I don't understand.

I've painted my jars but not spray painted.

Trappeur

Thats what they look like frosted with spray paint. I'm thinking of spraying them like a solid white. 

IMG_4213.JPG

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

I spray paint all my Ball pint canning jars with Rustoleum's Painters Touch 2X.  The paint sticks really well even through dishwashing.  The frosted spray paint has come off in some places on the jars for me in the dishwasher.  Maybe I didn't spray those jars as well as with solid paint, though.  Paint will scrape/chip off if they rub together.

GoldieMN  

I have some jars where the frost is kinda coming off is rubbed the wrong way.  I'm thinking of doing solid white but I dont want it to look worse if rubbed the wrong way. 

@Amelia If my painted jars bump against other jars, the paint does chip; but my jars have a primitive look so it works for me.  I haven't tried this Rustoleum spray paint, but I see they claim it is chip resistant and comes in a matte finish.  May have to try this myself.  Anyway, you could probably oven-cure the painted jars as well.  I would contact Rustoleum and ask them what they recommend including oven curing.  https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/universal/universal-matte-spray-paint

By the way, that is a beautiful candle!

GoldieMN