judging store bought wooden wick candles

Just sharing some observations I've made. Because I'm so new to candle making, I not sure yet what qualities and standards I should have in making candles and I'm trying to build that knowledge.  My first batches of soap (years ago) were successful and I thought they were good soap, but knowing what I know now about soap making they aren't soaps I want to replicate!

I've got one Nature's Wick and one Wood Wick candle burning right now. I suspect the Nature's wick is at least part paraffin due to the large amount of black soot on the rims.  Wood Wick is probably at least a blend because it's harder than soy, and leaves a smooth finish after it burns, but no black soot.  Both of them seem to be slightly over wicked because of how quickly the melt pool (wide and deep) develops. Both wicks dance and flutter constantly, and make a LOT of crackle.  (both are cross wicks)

My beginner coconut wood wick candles have decent crackle and a more gentle flame, but not a steady flame. They are not perfectly wicked, but I am pretty pleased with their performance and will make them again to enjoy while I continue to work on wicking.  I've definitely gotten FAR more burn time from my coconut candles than I have from the store bought ones, and they are all very close in size and jar type. 

What is the standard for wooden wick candles?  

Honestly I'm not sure what the standard is for wood wicks. I know certain ones crackle, but other than that, they just never interested me, so I never pursued them. I only know of a handful of people that even use them, and their results have been mixed. 

I know @TallTaylhas been testing them, so if/when she sees this, I'm sure she'll chime in. 

Did someone say my name?

wood wicks are something else.... unless trimmed very consistently before lighting each time they perform wildly different each burn. Sometimes they can make a fast, beautiful, steady melt pool. Other times the flames grow along with a deepening melt pool. Other times too much carbon builds up and the flames struggle to stay lit. When you hit the sweet spot they are my favorite to burn during these long, dark nights. 

ive had decent luck with the wooden wick company original boosters in soy (444). The bigger the vessel, the crappier the burn. Those flames can get wild. The latest I've burned are over 4" wide. None in the pack are big enough for those. I might try a double wick next time. They smell great burning, just are not sized right for the container. Throw is fine with my wax and scents so far. The crackle depends on how "wet" your wax is.

• Like 1