Hi everyone!  i just joined the forum and I'm very new to the candle making scene.

I have been testing for months and am having difficulties working with raspberry sangria from CS. I made two candles  with it of the following specs:: gb 464, 12% FO, heated wax to 185 and added fragrance around 185, poured at 135, cured for 12 days. One container had eco4 and the other had eco10. both are 8oz straight sided tumblers. great cold throw, ZERO hot throw. 

How did you get the raspberry sangria scent to throw so well when lit ? 

I saw that some members love raspberry sangria  so if anyone has useful tips for making candles with it in  gb444, gb464, igi4630, or a blend of any of these three, please share:) 

thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...

Are you getting a cold throw at all? I haven't used this exact scent but used another fragrance oil from another company and had a great hot throw and I was using 8% fragrance for that one and added no colour.   I added my scent at around 155-165 and poured at your temp and stir for about 2 minutes.  Try lower your fragrance load as that is the only thing I can think of.  I used straight 464 as well.

I know how frustrating this can be as I just went through so much testing over a month ago and I'm back at it again.

Try contacting Candle Science as well to see if they can help you pinpoint the problem.

1 hour ago, Firefly said:

Are you getting a cold throw at all? I haven't used this exact scent but used another fragrance oil from another company and had a great hot throw and I was using 8% fragrance for that one and added no colour.   I added my scent at around 155-165 and poured at your temp and stir for about 2 minutes.  Try lower your fragrance load as that is the only thing I can think of.  I used straight 464 as well.

Hii! yes the cold throw for this one was very store, i was almost certain the candle would be a hit! . but alas I lit it and was super disappointed. 

Which FO and from which company are you referring to? also what wick/jar combination were you using when you got good HT? and how long did you let it cure for ? 

Which products are you testing these days?

I think 464 fragrance oil load is 10% - so lower your % of FO. Also, I wouldn't add FO at 155-165, I add at 180 ish. Adding at such a low temp I don't think the FO will bind

properly to the wax. Keep in mind when adding FO at a lower temp it drops the temp of your hot wax even more. Ive read some on here have mixed 70/30 - 464 -6006 

but your wicks might change then too. Did the ECO 4 wick tunnel, it seems very small for a 8oz jar. Have you tried CD wicks or other series ?

35 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Did the ECO 4 wick tunnel, it seems very small for a 8oz jar. Have you tried CD wicks or other series ?

hi moonstar, the short answer is NO. no tunneling with the ECO4. The ECO4 did much better than ECO10 after the first 2 hours burn so that's the one i've been testinG. so far i've burned the candle WITH ECO4 5 times for a total of about 14 hours now. the first time i got some HT was after 18days of curing. it's decent but not strong enough for what i intended. 

what are some FO's you know are very strong in gb464. I think i should try some that are tried and tested. if i do and it's still not strong enough for what I want, it might have to add some paraffin. 

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

If you put some of that wax from the candle in a waxtart  melter can you smell it?

no i haven't tried this yet, since i eventually got some HT, just not as strong as i think is marketable

2 hours ago, CatCatCandles said:

Hii! yes the cold throw for this one was very store, i was almost certain the candle would be a hit! . but alas I lit it and was super disappointed. 

Which FO and from which company are you referring to? also what wick/jar combination were you using when you got good HT? and how long did you let it cure for ? 

Which products are you testing these days?

I was using a jar that is about 3 1/8 in diameter and used a HTP 105 wick and the scent was from Bitter Creek. I let it cure for 2 days. I'm currently testing the Q210 and will move onto the Q220 and Q230 soon.

On 10/16/2017 at 12:42 AM, Firefly said:

I was using a jar that is about 3 1/8 in diameter and used a HTP 105 wick and the scent was from Bitter Creek. I let it cure for 2 days. I'm currently testing the Q210 and will move onto the Q220 and Q230 soon.

oh wow you got strong HT with straight gb 464 after 2 days? the fO must be very strong. what happened to letting it cure for 7-14 days. i' just got the 210 , should have it by this weekend:) ; how are you liking it?

I typically don't like florals but I ordered Jasmine Frangipani from Lebermuth- Its really good . They have a super high minimum order ($300) but if you've never ordered

from them email them + ask if they'd waive the $20.00 fee for your first time. I didn't see Jasmine Frangipani last month so ask them if they still carry it. Another good 

one is Pink Salt + Lotus, its not super floral but to me smells fresh. Apple Jack Peel is great too + Black Amber if you like that type. I wasn't crazy about it but it was 

nice if you like those type. American Soy Organics has an awesome Lemon Cheesecake + their Orange is really nice- no sharp notes. Smells like fresh squeezed OJ

Oatmeal Cookie is good too. Sweet cakes has a good Cucumber  - if you like tea/lemon WSP has a great Twisted Iced Tea. Im not sure what scents are considered

woody ??? CS Frasier Fir is good so is their Mcintosh apple + Apple Bourbon + Pomegranate Cider

On 10/15/2017 at 7:42 PM, Firefly said:

Wow everything Ive read on here about the Q220 +30 has not been as positive as your describing. So, your not having any issues at all ? What FO did you use from BC ???

On 10/17/2017 at 3:37 PM, CatCatCandles said:

oh wow you got strong HT with straight gb 464 after 2 days? the fO must be very strong. what happened to letting it cure for 7-14 days. i' just got the 210 , should have it by this weekend:) ; how are you liking it?

I usually wait two days when testing.  It's worked well for me.

Still testing the new Ecosoya waxes and so far I'm liking them.  I don't use high fragrance loads either.  Burning the Q210 soon as I poured testers for that yesterday.  Then I'll do more testing of the Q210.  A lot don't like this wax so I'm guessing Ecosoya may tweak their waxes in the future.

On 10/17/2017 at 5:18 PM, Moonstar said:

Wow everything Ive read on here about the Q220 +30 has not been as positive as your describing. So, your not having any issues at all ? What FO did you use from BC ???

I tried Q210 with an EO blend I created and cotton wick, then tried an FO blend mixing 4 different fragrances from 2 companies & used wood wicks for that one.  Testers worked well, CT was there after 2 days & HT was great.  It may be my batch of wax.  There seems to be more bad reviews then good.

Poured testers for Q220 w/ EO's and will burn them soon then test again w/ Q210.

Edited by Firefly
Fixed spelling error