Bath and Body Works Candles Wicks

kdes7

My daughter was burning a BBW candle recently, 3 wick, and the wicks just kid of burned down and disintegrated, never required trimming. It was incredible. Anyone have any thoughts?

Edited by kdes7

When you say disintegrated do you mean as they disappeared at the end of the burn ? I haven't experienced this and Ive bought several. I do need to trim my wicks but 

they don't mushroom terribly. I would assume they have wicks manufactured for their specific jars + FO's. Its a huge company with endless resources $$$$

they are a coreless cotton wick, but I absolutely have to trim them, they do get too long. I hate to admit this but we probably burn 2-5 of these a month in my house. I can smell candle scents I've never made, so it's sort of a treat, even two years after I stopped selling, I still can't smell some of my original favorite scents we made. :( I'd test CD/HTP/LX wicks.

I kid you not when I tell you. The candle from BBW was more than half burned. I could see the tiniest of specks through the melted wax, as if the wicks had dissipated as they burned. I asked my daughter how many times she had trimmed the wicks and she said she never had to; that this is how they burned. The wicks were a proper height above the wax, jar was clean, beautiful melt pool.  I was in awe!  

@ kdes7,I know exactly what you are referring to. They aren't the only ones with wicks who are COMPLETELY self trimming and require NO TRIMMING. These big companies have the money and resources to have figured it out. Probably proprietary materials we can't get. Goose Creek Candle is another company where their large jars have zero mushrooming and zero trimming needed. Dont smoke or soot either (at least every one Ive ever tried from them). In fact, if you try to trim them, there would be nothing left of the wick and they'd drown. You are right, its pretty amazing. Wish I had an answer for you as to how they achieve it. Yankee has made tremendous progress there as well. Ive recently bought many of their candles that behave the same way.

I am happy to say, while attempting to still come off as modest, that I have been able to achieve similar in some applications. My larger jars I can get virtually self trimming requireing no trimming at all and burn like that throughout. Not all of them, but majority. That being said, the flames after re-lighting can be a bit hectic for anywhere from 5 seconds to a minute before calming down. That can lead to some smoke and soot at first sometimes. So I haven't achieved exactly what I am after yet, but getting there. Just keep testing and tweaking.

If you come up with an answer to how some of these companies are getting these virtually perfect burns without ever trimming, please share. Ill do the same.