Will 100% Soy and votive blend make......

a good combo when trying to use two differ scents. I know that when using 100% soy w/ two different colors or FO that they over time bleed into each other and the scents mix - WILL layering w/ the different waxes stop this.

ex: when doing a Christmas candle 1st layer 100% soy -green dye- Christmas Past FO , 2nd layer votive blend -red dye- Candy Cane FO, and 3rd layer 100%soy -natural soy color- White Chocolate FO.

Since the votive blend (all veggie oils no paraffin) is a hard wax I thought it would prevent the mixing of the colors and FO?

Does anyone know or use this method? TIA :)

1. If you mean you want to do votives then container soy will be harder to release from the mold since container waxes are meant to adhere.

2. Votive soy should be poured hotter and since container soy has a lower melt point so you are going to get bleeding.

3. For votives if you pour the container wax on top of an already cooler votive soy - if that has starting to release, the container blend my run down in between the lower layers and the mold.

So, if I were doing layered votives OR containers I would use the wax meant for that particular application and pay attention that I poured hot enough for the layers to adhere to one another and soon enough before the wax started to release from the mold (in the case of votives), but not hot enough to cause bleeding in either case (meaning votive or containers).

As far as for scent mixing, I don't see how that could happen if the waxes are already even partially set up. JMO. HTH.

I wasn't real clear :rolleyes: I was in a hurry on my way out the door when I wrote that. :)

What I was trying to say was -I would like to do some layered 8oz & 14oz round jj container candles. Last year when I layered the 100% soy (for Christmas candles) they after a month bleed (the colors) into each other and so did the scents. So I was wondering if I alternated the two waxes this would stop the bleeding of colors and scents, since the votive blend is harder. The votive blend is all veggie oils (no paraffin).

This a post from the old board. http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1104973883;start=2 with some info.

Like I said, I never had any real problems with these - though I did use the same FO in each layer.

Not familiar with the layers blending into each other over time. Maybe some one else can help. (If I was having that much trouble with my soy doing what you mention I would switch to para/soy blend for this application - something like J300. If you look on Astorlite's site there are specific step-by-step instructions for using it. I have to say - it makes a great looking container candle, layers or not).

Maryann, I have made container soy layered candles and they do bleed. I have had some sucess with doing a thin layer of uncolored/white wax between the layers, slpwes it down a little. A thin layer of j300 might work since it is suspose to be a good layering wax. I have made a carrot cake candle and topped with a white icing and after awhile the brown from the carrot cake turned the icing wax brown. So I tried soy pillar, clean wax, that white color stuff, UV, and now I'm mixing Perfect Blend to see if it will keep it from bleeding. Nothing else I have tried worked. I have some j300 maybe I'll try that next.

Believe it or not I'm getting ready for fall and winter sales and would like to start testing and making candles now. I like to have them sit awhile to be at their peak (strongest) for customers. I always seem to miss the seasons as I'm so busy so I'm starting REAL early for Fall and WInter :D

I'm going to try alternating the waxes and see what happens as I have a few months to let them sit around and watch what they do :D . I'm a soy girl and want to stay away from paraffin and blends w/ paraffin in them - just my preference. :)