Just a quickie...

Sponiebr

Ok. Couple of quick questions before I do something that may end up being not just a theoretically bad idea... 

1. Master batching. 
So when you're making up a mess of oils with disparate melting temperatures (e.g.: OO and Stearic acid or Palm oil, ya feel'n me?) can you still do a master batch of this or are the high melt temp components going to separate out? Also do you SB your oils when master batching?

2. Bentonite clay: So a LONG time ago when I made wine and other libations I was incensed at a brewer's supply charging $4  for a little tiny baggie of bentonite clay.  Especially when it was just unscented clumping cat litter and I KNEW it was. It REALLY PISSED ME OFF when I saw the Food Lion store brand 1 gallon jug sitting on the back work table next to the scale... To be fair, they DID autoclave the litter before selling it. Anyway here I am again with a need for bentonite clay and looking REALLY hard at that HUGE 7 lb sack of Soft Paw cat litter that I got for $1 at Dollar Tree and (I can't make this up) is LABELED fuller's earth... Proof below.  Anywho... Any problem using that clay in a soap? Personally I'd do a nuke-claving before I used it in anything because it also cleans up some of the dust. Thoughts? (Unclean thoughts are OK too... Just feel free to dump them here- It's been one of those days anyway.)

Sponiebr: Cheap Bastard.

I can't speak to the cat litter.  However, if masterbatching your oils everything would be okay except the Stearic Acid.  That requires quite a higher melt point and I would be concened about it not staying mixed well enough.   I masterbatch in 5 gallon bucket and I use Lard or Palm, CO, Olive, Shea and Castor.  I have no problems with that at all.  I just mix it really well before dispensing.

• Like 1