Goo in pour pot! Old Fogy FO?

I recently purchased a FO sample and made some tarts to test the scent like I usually do...... Heat wax to 180, put wax in pour pot, place pour pot in a double boiler set-up to maintain the temp while mixing FO, add 6 % FO at 170, stir and pour at 145. For some FO's I have to increase the temp to 175 or 180 in order to get it to mix; however, this one worked fine at 170. I melted the resulting tart and was pleased with the sent so I ordered more of the same FO (Blueberry Muffin). I made a batch of tarts using the same procedure. This time there was GOO IN POUR POT (a brown sticky substance that was VERY difficult to remove). I had to use steel wool and lots of elboe grease to remove it. When I tested a resulting tart in a white glazed tart burner bowl, the bowl was also stained. Also, the scent of the resulting tart was not as good as the sample produced. The color of the FO that I received the second time was much darker than the sample. I contacted the supplier from which I ordered the FO. They told me that particular FO was a very heavy oil. They suggested adding 1/8 tsp per pound of universal additive, pre-heating the FO, and adding it to the wax at 190 degrees. Well, I did like they said and it worked a little better but basicly the same results. They said that particular FO does darken with age but it still works. It is one of their best sellers. I think I received some "OLD FOGY FO" . What do you think?

I tried 3 different types of wax. Same results. I still think that the FO is "OVER THE HILL'; especially since the supplier said that this FO darkens with age. It almost looks like iodine. It is much darker than the sample. Does anyone else agree with me or have any other ideas?

I've had that happen before when I've added too much FO for the wax. Didn't have to use too much elbow grease, and definitely didn't use steel wool lol. Just wiped it out with some wet towels. Think it was Clorox brand.

Have you tried it just adding less pp?

I have tried using up other FO's up to 9% in this waxe with no problem. I am using 6% with this FO (28 grams FO per 454 grams wax). The wax should be able to handle it. Besides, there was no problem with the sample.

Sure sounds like a chemical reaction gone wrong. :sad2: I have had some FOs just not mix, like Gemlite's Mulberry (BTW avoid Gemlite FOs, some are OK but most of waht I spent big bucks on just smells fuelish). I had heated and stirred the paraffin to 195, but still got FO pooling at bottom of pour pot.

geek

I have tried using up other FO's up to 9% in this waxe with no problem. I am using 6% with this FO (28 grams FO per 454 grams wax). The wax should be able to handle it. Besides, there was no problem with the sample.
It's weird that your sample was so different. Still, you can't predict how much your wax can hold of every different FO. Each one is made of different stuff and I can think of a few you'd never want to use at 6% plus in smaller amounts they are stronger than most. You could try less. Also make sure you put it in before the dye so you can clearly see what's happening. Some could take much longer to incorporate than you are giving it. I've seen heavy ones that needed 10 minutes, 20 minutes, or more to fully bind up. If there's residue in the pot it sure doesn't seem to be mixed and my best guess is that it needs MUCH more time.

I notice you are form TX. Is this Lonestar FO? I have had the exact problems with some of their FO's. Even @ 2%, the FO just sinks, sits, and turns to a gooey mess. I STILL have the residue from the candy corn in my pouring pot. I used it 2 years ago.:mad:

No, the FO is from BCN. I tried the Blueberry Muffin from BCS: however it is not as good as the sample that I got from BCN. They said that the BCS FO is entirely different. The tarts that I made with the 8 oz bottle from BCN were not near as good and did not last as long as the ones I made with the sample bottle from BCN: also the color of the FO is not the same. I have not had this problem with any other FO from them or anyone else.