Hot throw not as strong after first burn???

Hey!  I'm new to making candles...burning my first poured candles!  So, I used 464 soy wax, carmelized pralines from CS, and used an 8oz tureen jar.  I tried an ECO 16 wick in one, (2) ECO 10 wicks in another, and (2) ECO 8 wicks in another as well.  I found that the double wicks were burning too much wax at one time (wax pool was too big) but it seems as if the single wick isn't burning quite enough...it's burning clean without leaving wax on the edges but is taking quite a long time to get a wax pool, if that makes sense!  With that said, it seemed like after a few hours, I could smell the candle well but now when I've tried to burn it again, I'm not getting as strong of a scent/throw like I did the first time...not sure what I need to do differently with my next batch???  Any advice would be great!  Thanks in advance!!!

~Kim

What % FO are you using? And hopefully you are not like me, when I first started I loved the scents, now I can't smell a thing. :( I have 8 testers burning right now and can't even tell. Once I get one zeroed in, I have to make a second tester for friends to check scent throw! Smh lol

Are you pouring once or a second pour as well?

What FO %?

How long you waiting to burn after pouring? With soy, you are gonna have to wait a couple weeks (over 1 week for sure)

P.S. I see you use Eco wicks. I have a bag of 1000 Eco 10s and a bag of 1000 Eco 8s I believe.

If those are ones you will want to be using, I can cut you a deal on them if interested.

I may have used a few from each bag but that's it. Almost 1000 in each.

Oh man, I hope I'll be able to smell them once I start making them!  I used 1oz FO per 1# of wax which is about 6%.  I only poured once.  I waited a full 7 days, didn't think I needed to wait longer :/  I've always bought Yankee candles so that's the potency that I'm used to...  I'm sure I just need to change things up a bit so any more helpful tips would be great!  Thanks!!!

You said you are using 464? Try 8-10%

make sure you are adding the FO at the recommended temp and blend well for a couple minutes.

Let cure for at least week or two.

Soy 464 has good throw, especially for soy. But I think the overall concensus (heavy soy users would be better to ask) is that most using 464 are using at least 8%.

Finally, are you sure its throwing less after first burn or you just think you smell it less? Sniff some coffee grounds, leave the room for a bit and try again.

Ask for others input as well. I get so used to smelling my candles that it can be really hard for me to tell

• Like 1

In general that is true.

But 464 throws really well comparable to many parrafin waxes.

YC doesn't use straight parrafin as far as I know. They have extra additives and such to help with their throw.

But the more you make candles you will find you have no problems matching or surpassing the HT of YC candles.

So, I wouldn't worry about that.

Most soy candle makers add a bit more FO to compensate for the lesser HT. Many don't and like it the way it is.

I wouldn't base your candles off of comparing HT to YC.

There are MANY factors that come into play. Personally, I like the way my candles look 10 to 1 over YC.

I also like my labeling and presentation better. My HT is equal. My pricing is little less. My packaging is better.

And last, but most important is that they are HAND MADE, HAND POURED,  done in smaller batches, and so on.

Many customers like this about small businesses.

And if you aren't happy or fully set on soy, try something else included a parasoy if you want.

• Like 3

Thank you!  I completely agree about being handmade and such, that's why I started making them.  I just want to make sure I'm making the best candle I can...and I think I can be my worst critic sometimes ;)   I love the label making and packaging as much as making the product itself!  Thanks again for everyone's advice, I think I just need to keep experimenting!  

• Like 1

I use Advanced but have had no trouble scenting at 9%. Used 464 for a bit and don't recall any issues at that level. My tester friends rave over the throw (oh my intransigent nose!!). I don't know about Yankee, but several friends have complained about how quickly commercial candles burn and are impressed by the burn times my candles have achieved. I enjoy knowing that, after all the testing, sweating and, yes, occasionally swearing lol, I am creating a unique, quality product that people appreciate and enjoy.

• Like 1