Cutting/shapping wax...

Another post kind of triggered this question, it was by a lady who was having trouble cutting wax. Myself, I often have a hard time getting smooth edges I like etc...

So, what is/are your favorite tools for cutting and/or shapping wax?

has anyone ever used either of these two items?

http://bigwebpages.com/members/candlecutter/products.html

http://www.vatsaas.org/rtv/construction/hotwirecutter.aspx

I'm especially interested in the feasability of the second one because the diameter of the candles I make is so large.

Are there any other heated tools you have used or created?

I also heard about someone using dental tools...

Thanks all, it will be really interesting in hearing what some good tools you like to use/keep on hand are!

-Luke-

Not sure what you mean by smooth edges...

It's very difficult to "repair" a finish or edge, to me anyway. Most anything you do to it will leave it's own marks. About the only way I've found it to zap the entire surface melting off a layer evenly, which is very difficult. That or overdipping it.

Added: I haven't tried any of the heated cutters. Mainly because everything I've seen commeneted here said they didn't work well.

After looking at that second one, a plan is formulating! Not for wax though, not a chance it would cut through a slab. A smaller version of that would make a great soap bar cutter though :D

Oops! Didn't see that the wire was heated...LOL. I was too busy drooling over the picture of the frame.

Lets say though that you wanted the bottom or top of your candle to be perfectly level, or perhaps you were making a cane and you wanted to top to have a slant cut, wouldn't a heated wire rig like that be just the thing?

If you wanted to go through the trouble and expense. Most of us use an electric frypan, cookiesheet set on top of a double boiler, any kind of hot flat surface. To level even, set a small craft level on the candle while heating.

Whether or not a heat gadget like that would be easier, that's probably another one of those "personal preference" things that turn up so much in candlemaking ;)

I don't use either because my ice pick works just fine lol.

Suppose you wanted a level bottom? Make sure your mold is level ;)

Why make the expense for those things just to angle the lips of your canes? You could more cheaply just using a knife to carve what you want. But then it's your money lol.