Got my pine tar!

Candybee

I finally remembered to get a jar of pine tar. Had to get it out of town at the only Tractor Supply store nearest me.  Am going to try a shot at making some pine tar soap. I also got some tea tree oil I want to use with it. I'm excited and hope to get to it this week!

pine tar.jpg

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

Went ahead and started making it today. Should finish making it as soon as the lye solution cools down enough. Will have some pics maybe tomorrow.

That pine tar is sticky! It doesn't look like it is mixing with my aloe juice. Decided to use aloe juice in place of water. Shouldn't make a diffierence. But I used cold aloe juice so that may make a difference. But once I stick blend everything together I am sure it will be fine. Can't wait!

Yes. I added it at trace and only used the rubber spatula to blend it in. Then poured while it was still fluid. By the time I went to texture the top with a chopstick it was already pretty set up but I managed to do it.

I used tea tree and lavender EOs. It smells very earthy, slightly piney & woodsy. Hopefully the tea tree and lavender will come out as it cures. Love the rich, dark, caramel color.

• Like 1

Oh I can't wait to see it!  Ya know.....I really was turned off at first when I opened that jar of pine tar....and even when soaping it.  But after a couple days I loved the smell of it.

I added lavender to mine too....and I think it came thru a bit.  Next time though, I will use the pine tar straight up with no other scent.

• Like 1

You know I thought I would hate the smell, but it grows on you. Its strong now but I expect it to mellow. The soap also got darker like a rich dark brown vanilla bean pod color. Its lovely.

Chefmom-- I will post the scent results as it cures. But since this is the first time I made it and I used a blend of lavender and tea tree I may not be the best judge. I can see why men like it. The scent is very outdoorsy.

I used my own basic soap recipe with olive, palm, coconut, shea, and castor oils. I used my smaller 2 lb mold in case I end up hating it I don't have a ton of it laying around. But something tells me this may be my new favorite soap.

Been reading up on the benefits of pine tar in soap along with the tea tree and lavender EOs. It should be a good soap for problem skin types.

Has anyone used neem oil in their pine tar soap? If you check out pinetarsoap.com they have all kinds of pine tar soaps including neem.

• Like 1