Proper Wicking

hank7fd

I don't know if i'm being too judgemental on my own gel candles or what but am i ever having an issue trying to get the gel to melt to the edge of the glass.

the container is about 3" across and for my first test, i tried using 60-44-18z wicking. the only thing i'm happy about is the fact the gel didn't go "down" too far in the container...lots left to burn.

i love working with gel but am getting a little frustrated with its' burning properties. can someone please offer me some insight...i've tried many jars and have yet to be happy with them.

Thanks in advance! :o

Well if your gel does melt to the edge then it is burning to hot. A properly made gel candle should leave about and 1/8" of gel on the sides.

Here is a little help when burning a gel candle your gel should actually pull to the flame not create a large melt pool. Your gel candle after the burns should look like it is sloped toward the wick.

interesting...i thought it would be like parrafin and melt to the outter edge. i suppose i'm doing it right then cause i just looked at the candle and the gel slants inward and there is a tiny outter ring left of the gel.

may i ask...why? i suppose after working with parrifin i'm just wondering why the gel wouldn't pool to the edge. many of my customers are thankful they don't have a major dip in their parrifin candless...how do i explain to them that gel "just isn't like that"? thanks again! :D