Wood wick candles, selling & safety concerns

I've been very pleased with my wood wick candles, and I want to offer them as part of our product line.  I am concerned that the average customer may not trim the wick properly.  I'm using status jars, and as the candle burns down into the jar, it is hard to trim the wick.  I am concerned that the customer who doesn't have a wick trimmer won't be able to trim and will end up with a large flame and soot.  Other wicks are easy to snip with scissors, but since these aren't, I'm just afraid they won't get trimmed at all.

Is anyone else selling these, and how do you handle this concern?  I plan to offer additional burning instructions on the product label as well as the normal safety sticker on the bottom of the jar, and verbal warning when the candle is purchased, but I don't know if that is enough.  Most of my candles are purchased as gifts/souvenirs, so the end user isn't usually the one that makes the purchase.

Really, about the only thing you can do about that is test for that scenario, so you know what's going to happen, make sure you put the proper burning instructions on the candle with the caution label, and make sure you have insurance in place. Even though you can do everything to protect yourself from a safe practice position, as the saying goes, you can't fix stupid, and sometimes it's the ones who are definitely in the wrong that are more willing to sue. 

Good point.  I've tested a crazy amount of these in all kinds of scenarios.  Untrimmed, the wick burns cool enough that the jar never gets too hot.  It doesn't seem to be a safety hazard at all, but untrimmed, the flame is more erratic down deep in the jar and the candle gives off little puffs of soot.  It's just not as pleasing as it can be if burned properly.  I'm not so much afraid of a product liability issue as I am a customer satisfaction issue.  You're right though, there's not much I can do about it.  I guess I just need to settle this in my own mind one way or another.  Thank you.

Edited by bfroberts

2 hours ago, bfroberts said:

It's just not as pleasing as it can be if burned properly.  I'm not so much afraid of a product liability issue as I am a customer satisfaction issue. 

I hear ya. However, people seem to LOVE Y*nk** brand candles, and look at how they burn.. So...there's that... 

• Like 1