Where is the scent?

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here goes...

I am testing a 8oz jj using Eco-Soya CB Advanced with Peaks Cinnamon Buns FO 1oz. per lb. of wax. The instructions that I had said to add FO at 175 degrees and to pour between 100-110 degrees (which I did). The jar is short and round with htp 104 wick. It seems to be burning well but there is hardly any throw. I have to put my nose right over the candle to smell the scent. When I first poured it smelled fantastic. I have kept the lid on the jar until yesterday when I started to test. Everything I have read so far says that this scent should have a good hot throw so what could I have done wrong?

Thanks for the help.

I do believe you need to let soy wax cure for about a week or two to get the full effect of the throw. I could be wrong though, hopefully an expert will chime in with the answer for you. I know that when I pour 100% soy, it takes about 2 weeks before I get any type of a throw out of it, hot or cold.

Soy does need a cure time but that cure time really depends on the FO. Some FOs will throw right away and others will need a longer cure time. For the cinnamon buns I use (I don't use Peaks) I wouldn't need a 2 week cure and think that to be unreasonable. Personally, I don't have 2 weeks to wait for a cure time Try adding .5 oz more of FOs and/or change your wick. Some FOs need diferent wicks to throw better that the wick needed for other FOs - so your wick could be the problem. Also, soy sometimes uses more FO than paraffin to get a better throw but I would think that with cinnamon buns you should smell something with 1 oz ppo even if its not as strong as you'd like.

Or, you could just have candle nose. Try leaving the room and going outside for a bit. Perhaps you will be able to smell the candle once you enter the room again. Also see if someone else can smell it. Often time I can't smell my candles because of candle nose and swear that there isn't a throw but others will tell me they can smell it. Good luck.

I agree that you may need the full 1.5 oz/lb with your soy. What I don't agree with is letting a soy candle cure for 2 weeks to get a good throw. When testing my straight soy, if it doesn't throw within 2 days, I won't use the FO!! It can only get better the longer it sits. Soy is a VERY fussy wax sometimes and some scents just never throw at all in it........so this may be your case.

Thank you all for your quick replies. You have been of great help.

I did re-wick with a smaller wick and I am getting a much better throw. I will try more FO the next time I pour. The tops were real smooth, only a slight discoloration on the top. The only other thing that I did notice is that when I poured two containers with wicks, the wax pulled away from the lower part of the glass after it had cooled for a couple of days. I also poured one that had no wick (to test with) and it did not pull away until I put in a wick and tested. Not sure what's up with that. Trial and error I guess is what it's all about.

Thanks again.