Why 1 ounce per pound of FO in GW464?

Hello! First let me say, I am new and using GW464, I see lots of comments such as "remember, more is not always better" regarding FO.

If I want my candles to have the most possible HT, why would I not max out the FO at 9%? It appears most people use the standard 1 oz FO to 1 pound wax, which would be more like just under 6%.  If it is a good FO for soy, is the 1oz per pound of GW464 the optimal amount? Has anyone compared this amount to higher % of FO in 464? I am really curious as to why most people fall at the lower %. If I don't need to spend 50% more on FO, then that is great, but I want to the best HT I can get.

Other details, 3 inch diameter CS 8ounce metal tins, heating 464 to 185, working out color, removing from heat, adding FO at 180 stirring 2 min, pouring at 135. Tops look nice, CT is good (not amazing) and HT has ranged from non-existent (possible culprit could be non-soy agreeable scent) to overwhelming (LSC-Oakmoss, who knew?) Eco 10 wicking, GW 464, most FO from Lonestar.

Any helpful advice for a newbie would be most appreciated. Thank you!

• Like 1

Best advice I can offer is test different amounts and see what you feel is the best HT without running into burn issues 

sometimes more FO can cause mushrooming- sooting- sputtering of the wick and so on 

I use 415 and used to use 464- I could never get what I felt was awesome HT with 1 ounce per pound 

most of my fragrances take 1.5 ounces FO oer pound and some 1.25

everyone smells different so try 1 - 1.25 and 1.5 in the same scent and see what you think and watch the differences in burn 

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

Hi again littleflame. I don't know if you saw my response to your very first post, but there's some info back there for you.

I use 1 oz pp because it works. I have had to cut back to 5% a few times, like with Aztec's Fresh Linen and BCN's Peppercorn. There some others I cut back on but I don't remember which ones.

As moonshine suggested, since everyone's sense of smell is different, it's just a matter of testing and finding what works for you. If you get a satisfactory candle with 2 oz pp, and that's what you want, go for it! Just be sure that it burns well and is safe.

Thank you both! I will start testing. I noticed that there is a thread listing of great FO from specific suppliers here, but it is closed to comments and hasn't been updated in years it seems. Is there some other good place to get suggestions on FO that have proven good in soy?

I'm a parasoy user, but I use 1 oz per pound because it's cost effective. If an oil doesn't work at 1 oz or less, I ditch it. It's just personal preference. That's why testing is so important. Fiddling with measurements and wicking will help determine what works best for you and the results you are trying to achieve.

4 hours ago, thelittleflame said:

Thank you both! I will start testing. I noticed that there is a thread listing of great FO from specific suppliers here, but it is closed to comments and hasn't been updated in years it seems. Is there some other good place to get suggestions on FO that have proven good in soy?

I would check the "Fragrance" forum and type in "favorite" or something similar to see more current discussions.  For example, check this thread.  Many suggestions including company names.  

• 4 months later...

I know I'm late here, but I use between 1 oz and 1.5 oz typically. The vast majority of my candles I use 1.5 oz on. Most of them use RG dye chips as well as dye blocks in other candles, very few are undyed. I usually test two different 8 oz candles at 1 oz, 1.5 oz, then 1.25 oz in that order and if those don't work, I abandon the scent. A few of my first scents use 2 oz, but I don't really test that high any more.

One lesson I learned here was more often is not better. If it's perfect at 1 oz, 2 oz will clog the wick and inhibit scent throw. If you get good results with less FO, you're saving money per candle which adds up if you make a lot (and I do!)

• Like 1