EcoSoya XCel, 415, C3, 464 wax

In addition to testing C-3 and 415, I am also testing EcoSoya XCel and 464 wax.

I bought the candle making kit from The Flaming Candle. It came with Eco 10 wicks, 4 jars, 2 oz of scent, dye chips and wick stickums and 2 lbs of EcoSoya XCel wax.

I have used this wax before with no luck so I increased my fragrance load to 8% and I'll see what happens. The Sweet Strawberry smells divine. The candle didn't set up quite as I had hoped it would. Probably user error when pouring but I'm not sure if I like the sticky texture of this wax either. Oh well...I'll give it a fair chance and report back once I test burn this scent in a week or so.

415  wax and 51-32-18 cotton core wicks

At 6% fragrance oil and the wicks listed above, I tested Strawberry Rhubarb from former KY now RE/AH. Added scent at 150.

Smells good with a 5 day cure ---could be a little stronger but got a great burn.

I also tested ICS Cranberry and Orange Muffins - not overly happy with the result but will test again in a few days once it has cured two weeks.

464 wax - Tropical Fruit from the Flaming Candle

This wax has a sticky texture but not as sticky as EcoSoya XCel. Using 8% fragrance oil and 1 orange dye chip and added the fragrance oil at 175. I will say the scent smells like a bowl of fresh fruit which is making me crave fruit salad.I am not going to wick this candle quite yet but will place a hole in the wax once it has cooled so I can pull the wick out if necessary for testing.This seems to be a very popular wax and I'm really looking forward to testing it.

I tested c3 wax with Fillmore Iced Lemon Biscotti at 9% and got a wonderful throw with 767 premier wick. I do like the way that these wicks burn and the appearance of the c-3 wax. So far out of the 415 and the c-3 wax - the c-3 seems to carry the scent further and has the overall best appearance characteristics. I will continue to report back with my findings and I hope that this will help someone not to struggle the way that I have so far. Candlemaking really is a nerve wracking experience but so rewarding when you finally achieve that winning combination.

• Like 1

I'm really glad you got your testing completed and you're happy. 

I use C3, but not necessarily because I liked it best.  I just decided that each soy had it's own issues and I would choose the one I could get close to home to save a bit on shipping and then just work with it until I got the results I would be happy with.  So I don't dye my C3 because I couldn't live with the frosting issues but I can live with wetspots and a smooth top that burns good.

You are making me want to revisit 700 series wicks!  LOL  I use cotton right now and love the way it burns but I do get mushrooming with some scents.  I guess it's another thing I've learned to live with as almost every candle I buy does the same.

I just switched to C3 after using 464 & 444. I loved 464, but had to change since it's not good to ship it in hot weather (CA desert).

So far I'm very happy with C3. Almost as easy to work with as 464.  What size container are you using the Premier 767s in? I've been considering making a wick change (I'm using the eco series now). Thanks for info sharing

I actually like the premier wicks in the C3 only. I couldn't get them to work right for me in any other wax so far. I haven't tried them in the 464 yet though. That may produce a different result. :-) 

I love the folks at Wick It as I am still using the sampler pack that they sent me. They were so kind and sent me I think it was 7 of each wick size for a fee of $5. Now that is customer service in my book. I got oodles of wicks. LOL 

I used the 767 wicks in the 8 oz jelly jar with 9% of fragrance oil.

With 7% of fragrance oil I used the 765 premier.

I started with c3 and used for three years In a square mason jar with large wood wick and got a great throw am rolling out a boutique cotton double wick line in a 12 oz highball glass and double wicking that wax has been killing me so I tried 464 444 cb advanced and cb135 

all with ten percent and twenty different types of wick combos and six different wood wicks and .....back to working with c3 the ecosoya advanced is prettiest but I could not get the same throw as c3 I did not like how cb135 Gb 444 and 464 looked after burning I got a pretty good scent throw with 444 and cd wicks but was not happy with throw from advanced 135 or 464

i know a lot say to use 6 percent and cure for ten days I tried that as well I like a strong candle and want my candles to scent just as well as the higher priced boutique soy candles that I enjoyed before candle making I cured a candle for two months in c3 at 6 percent and poured same scent at ten and burned at 24 hours and same wick and the 10 percent filled whole open concept living dining kitchen I could smell at front door the 6 percent that cured for months I could smell in a closed room well or in open concept about two feet away but did not stack up to the competition 

I want to try the premiers those of you using cotton wicks what brand are you using??

On February 1, 2016 at 9:09 AM, kandlekrazy said:

I'm really glad you got your testing completed and you're happy. 

I use C3, but not necessarily because I liked it best.  I just decided that each soy had it's own issues and I would choose the one I could get close to home to save a bit on shipping and then just work with it until I got the results I would be happy with.  So I don't dye my C3 because I couldn't live with the frosting issues but I can live with wetspots and a smooth top that burns good.

You are making me want to revisit 700 series wicks!  LOL  I use cotton right now and love the way it burns but I do get mushrooming with some scents.  I guess it's another thing I've learned to live with as almost every candle I buy does the same.

Do you mind sharing what cotton wick you use and yes I have bought high end soy with cotton candles that mushroomed and thought nothing of it till I started making candles there is no perfect candle 

sherry

I bought mine from Wick-it I believe, It's been so long and I bought 2500 once I knew what I needed.   I use a 60C or a 62C in the 8 oz status jar.

Not sure my sizes would work for you but I'd be happy to put a few of each size in an envelope and send to you if you'd like to try them.

Kandlekrazy you are kind to offer but I would need very small sizes to double wick a three inch diameter thanks for turning me on to wick it I did request samples to try a few ones I had not tried yet that helps a bunch!! Most companies are telling me not to double wick the 3 inch but my two favorite soy candle companies double wick the same vessel I know it can be done! So far with ecos and cd and rrd and htp. I am getting one size to hot next size up too cold