Need help with greasy lip balm :(

Clear Black

Tried my first ever batch of lip balm last night and it came out ok for a beginner. I like it, but its a bit light and a bit over greasy. I need anyone interested or willing to have a look a t my recipe and see if anything jumps out at you for causing a little extra grease. Leave me any suggestions on adding or removing any % of ingredient as an adjustment.

Beeswax .75oz 15.000%
Soy Wax .25oz 5.000% 
Sunflower Seed Oil 2.00oz 40.000%
Coconut Oil 1.25oz 25.000%
Cocoa butter .75oz 15.000%

At this time Im just trying to nail down a base, so im not focused on EO's or color.

This makes a 5oz batch. I would like to very much keep the small % of soy wax in there, seeing as my other lines of products I plan on making all have a soy wax base (candles, crayons, etc etc) and that is a big selling point for me. Does soy wax cause any added grease in lip balms or should I be looking at other ingredients as the cause? I intentionally left the soy wax at 5% and use it basically as a filler to the BW.

I sent a PM to a few of you already about this so feel free to chime in here or just PM back. Either way.

THANKS!
Edited by Clear Black

Guest OldGlory

I am not a pro with lip balms, but if you want something less slick, you can either reduce your liquid oils, increase your beeswax, or both. Cocoa butter melts when it comes into contact with skin so that's adding to it. There's such a broad range of preferences, it's just something you have to make to suit yourself.

I am not a pro with lip balms, but if you want something less slick, you can either reduce your liquid oils, increase your beeswax, or both. Cocoa butter melts when it comes into contact with skin so that's adding to it. There's such a broad range of preferences, it's just something you have to make to suit yourself.

what would be an alternative to the Cb to lessen the slick feeling?

Guest OldGlory

I honestly don't know. If I were making lip balms right now and wanted to change my formula, I would just go thru the recipes here to see what others were using. You want to increase the 'drag' which to me says cut the oily substances and increase the beeswax. But then, I am an amateur at lip balms.