Why CD over ECO Wick in 464?

Hi, I have been doing a lot of wick testing for my candles, mostly using CD wicks and Eco wicks.  I have poured over what seems like endless recommendations for choosing the right wick.  From what I gather, it seems like a lot of you that use 464 soy wax are using the CD wicks over the ECO.  But, several sites recommend the ECO wicks for 464. Can a seasoned chandler explain to me the reasons you prefer the CD over the ECO (or vice versa)?  I notice the cd wick tends to mushroom slightly more than the ECO.  Yet, I feel like I am getting a stronger hot throw with the CD wick, but a more even melt pool and calmer wick with the ECO. I am sure it is all just personal preference, but I would like to know what you all think.  I am driving myself nuts! Thanks so much in advance! 

• Like 1

I am not what I call a seasoned chandler- been doing this for many years but for the last several I have been using a different wax than the 464 so if I were to try it again I may have a different experience

What I can tell you is when I did use 464 I liked the CD Best but I started with Eco and HTP but there are many factors that can come into play with your results- type of jar, diameter of jar, using color or not, fragrance load, heat and pour temps along with curing time

I got frustrated with Eco because the my wax would burn and look like old disgusting butter flavored crisco....the HTPS I couldn't get the right size - it was to hot or not enough and when I tried the cd it worked best for my application

I think suppliers try to give a recommendation on where to start based off what they sell- like CS I don't think they sell CD so they would recommend LX Eco or HTP

You just have to try several and see what works best for your application and jars - if you don't like the cd mushroom but feel your throw is better try a size down and up or maybe lower your fragrance load and see if that helps any or try a whole different wick....I believe I read premiers are good in 464 and maybe try the LX as well

Guest OldGlory

I use Premiers in 464 and I'm very happy with them. They burn nicely (very little if any mushroom), give a good melt pool and a strong HT, and there are so many sizes that you can narrow down the right size quite precisely. It does take plenty of testing, as with any wick/wax/FO combination. It takes some people 6-12 months and lots of money to find the right combination for each of the FOs they intend to use and some simply don't throw at all. Heck you might like ECOs in some, CDs in some, Premiers in some, and HTPs in others. Test, test, and then test some more!

Edited by OldGlory

• 5 years later...

Hi everyone, I am a new candle maker and my problem is the throw.  I get none at all.  Have followed all the information from places like Candle Science and still nothing.  I use 464 Golden soy was with eco 6" wicks.  I use one ounce of fragrance per pound of wax.  I add the fragrance at 185 degrees and pour around 165.  I sometimes add candle dye one small piece.  What am I doing wrong and what do I need to tweek?

26 minutes ago, QuietStorm said:

Hi everyone, I am a new candle maker and my problem is the throw.  I get none at all.  Have followed all the information from places like Candle Science and still nothing.  I use 464 Golden soy was with eco 6" wicks.  I use one ounce of fragrance per pound of wax.  I add the fragrance at 185 degrees and pour around 165.  I sometimes add candle dye one small piece.  What am I doing wrong and what do I need to tweek?

I have found CS wick recommendations for 464 to be a tad too big.  I generally need to wick down from their recommendation by one or two sizes.  I prefer CD in 464, but Eco work reasonably well too.  Additionally, some FOs just won’t throw in soy no matter what you do.  Cure time is important too, so be sure not to ignore that.  Good luck!