Steric/vybar

Tea

I am wanting to understand the difference in these two. I reading I understand that they both increase the hardness of the wax, but for what properties, and why, would you choose one over the other in a parafin candle?

Thanks again,

Tracey

Vybar is a synthetic polymer and stearic acid is a natural substance derived from animal or vegetable sources.

Both increase hardness, opacity and oil retention, but Vybar and other polymers are more economical because they're used in small quantities relative to stearic. Vybar is used at a rate of 0.5% to 2% depending on fragrance load. Stearic can be used in any quantity but most commonly (from what I've seen) 10% or less.

Vybar has better color stability. Unlike stearic, it doesn't yellow with age, heat and UV exposure (more important for white candles than dyed ones).

Vybar doesn't much affect the melt point of wax. Stearic lowers it to some extent, depending on how much you use.

Stearic is a staple additive of certain candle styles. It can help optimize oil retention and appearance of mottled candles. Vybar isn't used in these because it eliminates mottling if used in any appreciable quantity. Stearic can also be useful for getting a desirable finish in "rustic" style cold-poured candles (some of it separates from the wax and bleeds out with the FO to create "frost" on the surface). You can see a lot of these kinds of candles in the gallery and most are made using stearic acid.

These days, it's more common to use things like Vybar, Universal Additive, Gloss Poly, etc. when you're making candles with a smooth, opaque finish, and use stearic for mottles and rustics. However, you can be "old school" and use stearic for all of it if you want (high percentages will make an opaque candle and suppress mottling). You don't normally use more than one of these additives at the same time.

HTH.

Vybar helps: the oil bind with the wax, eliminate bubbles, and gives the wax an opaque look and eliminates mottling. It is usually used at 2% per pound. Too much will lock up the FO and you won't get a good throw.

Stearic Acid also helps with oil retention and will increase opacity. Usually 1-2 tbls. per pound.

Use vybar if you want a opaque candle with no mottling.

Use stearic if you want a mottled candle.

Preblends will not need either of these additives.