The purpose of a wax coating on a wick

Hi all

I'm curious.  What is the purpose of the wax coating on a wick.

I've been told by the fragrance manufacturer that it's to prevent any deterioration of the wick from both the fragrance and any possible acidic effects of some waxes.

The purpose of priming a wick from time immemorial has simply been to make it easier to light. Suppliers occasionally offer stiff, high melt point coatings that are meant not to melt off during the manufacture of the candle and provide some support to the wick when burning. That is, at best, a secondary purpose for the wick wax. Wick types that are intended for container candles use a stiffer construction with deeper melt pools and softer wax in mind. They don't generally need help. I use spooled unprimed wicking in container candles and it works like anything else.

What the supplier told you is completely wrong. It's one of the common information viruses where wick coatings are confused with wick treatments. Every wick, even the simplest, is treated with a type of salt solution to turn turn it from a string into a candle wick. Otherwise it wouldn't burn properly. There are some specialized treatments for various purposes that could be described the way your supplier did, but these are not waxes or coatings, just varying chemical treatments.

• Like 1