Perfumer's alcohol

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

I am so outside my comfort zone with B&B, but I like the discovery process.

I have some PA from RE, used it for some colognes for someone a while ago. I know you can make different strength sprays with it - I think up to 30% FO.

If I want to add a total of 3%, can I then use only 50% of the PA and scent blend, and fill the rest with distilled water? Let's say .12 oz of scent, 2 oz of PA, and 1.88 oz of distilled water? Has anyone tried that?

(I know there are differing results for different scents. Just asking if the whole can be cut with dist. water if the amount of fragrance is very low- 3% instead of 30%.)

Guest OldGlory

Of course I had to try it today. I am testing the OT lemon eucalyptus EO blend in different products.

If you have ever had West Nile (had 2 rounds of it a couple years ago) and hate the chemicals in the traditional insect repellants as much as I do, this probably appeals to you too. I am adding it at the rate of 3%

1.I really don't mind it in distilled water and witch hazel. You just have to shake it before you spray every time, and make it as needed, not in advance. I like the natural aspect of it this way. You could store it in the fridge for a week or two probably.

2. I put the EO blend in an ounce of perfurmer's alcohol, shook it up, then added an oz of distilled water. It got cloudy but stayed fully blended. I don't know how long the mixture will be bacteria free, so probably a two week window for this. Fridge might be good for this too, but I haven't tried it.

3. I put it in baby oil. Normally I am not a fan of baby oil, but I really liked how easily this went on my legs and arms. I thought about making lotion bars or putting it in lotion, but decided to try low budget and minimal effort options first.

The CDC actually does recommend using lemon eucalyptus as a mosquito repellant, along with a host of chemicals, but they also suggest washing it all off as soon as you go inside. The only downside that I can see right now is that the citrus oils in this blend make your skin extra sensitive to sunlight.

Supposedly as long at the mix was made with clean water etc. , and contains at least 25% alcohol (could be a % or 2 lower but i don't have my reference guide in front of me) it should remain free of typical bacteria, mold and fungi. I would still consider a preservative and a heat and hold of the water before making it.

The fragrance should remain in emulsion when dissolved in enough PA.

I love PA in room sprays. It takes so little to scent a room since the alcohol helps the fragrance suspend in the air longer than just water.

Guest OldGlory

Thanks, Tall. I have only used it full strength before. It is handling the addition of distilled water nicely.