When wicking is too hot-

I understand to wick down, which I went from a CD 10 to a CD 8. It has been a 1/2 hour and give or take another 1/2 hour, the MP  will have reached the sides. The top of the jar is already hot. - BTW - I am using a 16 oz. Apothecary jar. 1 oz Mac Apple and 6006 wax. The previous melt pool was 1/2 inch in 3 - 4 hours and the jar pretty hot -- mind you, the jar has not even burned down half way yet. There was also a burnt wick type of smell going on. My question is - besides wicking down, has any one found that a smaller HTP wick burns good for the Apothecary jar? I have size 5 CD's but I don't have any CD 6's.

Glass conducts heat (duh) and given 3-4 hours of storing heat; the jar is going to be hot. The only way its not going to be hot IMHO is if the melt pool doesn't touch the sides of the jar and the wick is cool burning. Hence, you might consider a zinc as a possible solution. I added more soy to 6006 and found cd wicks worked just right. If the jar was red hot, then you need to try an lx or an eco but I bet the zinc works the best. HTH

Steve

• Like 1