increasing melt pool without wicking up

Hi all! Just wondering if anyone would know any tricks on widening the melt pool without going up a wick size? I'm wicking a 3.5 inch jar with a CDN 18. Its a smidge too small, but the CDN 20 is mushrooming and a touch too big. I'm using straight 4627, and was wondering if there is any additive I could use to lower the melt point a touch just to get the 18 to work?

Guest OldGlory

I just want to add something interesting. The temperature of the room in which you are burning the candle will effect your melt pool.

It has been super cold here this week. I made a candle about a month ago in a container with woodwicks to give one final test to different companies wood wicks, and I'm half way thru burning it. At this point, it's burned about 3 vertical inches. Most of it was burned when the apparent room temperature was considerably warmer.

Today, I burned the candle for 10 hours straight. You would think the melt pool would be pretty deep and that it would have no hang up, but no. There was a small amount of hang up and no more than 1/2 deep melt pool. The room temperature is effecting the melt pool! I learned something new today.

Have you test burned the jar all the way down? A lot can happen in the last half of the candle.

Hi candybee. Yes I've now tried test burning it over the half way mark and it doesn't seem to be the right size.

I also seem to get way too much mushrooming from the half way mark. Its back to the drawing board 8-(

• 3 months later...