WaxLovr

Over the last few months I have been blending my own waxes looking for a nice paraffin and soy blend for wax melts. I've tried several combinations of 6006 and 4625, 4794 and 6006, and even these straight.  I've tried adjusting the FO amounts, pouring at different temps, and adding vybar.  I did notice vybar makes wax more opaque, which I like. but my throw on all these combos are ho-hum, even after a long cure.  

What are some good waxes to try that met the following requirements? 

Parraffin and soy blend, no frosting on the soy. 

Has an opaque creamy appearance and texture. 

Has ridiculous strong throw (can fill up a couple rooms in the house on a 20w hot plate).

The wax does not have to be rock hard like 4625, but should be hard enough, even if combined with  a container wax, to pop out of a clamshell or scent cup.  

Thanks in advance. There are so many waxes to choose from it is boggling. Thanks! 

I think you'll get several opinions about which meets all those requirements. Sometimes it depends on the FO that's used, what temp it's added to wax etc. as to how strong the throw is. Some scents are just going to throw stronger than others.

As far as frosting, I'm not sure about that one but I personally like a little soy when I pour into shaped molds because I like the creaminess of it.

I use 4625 either straight or mixed with just a little bit of soy pillar wax. When I pour into clamshells or cups, I use a blend of a container wax and a pillar wax, either 4625/4630 or 4625/4633 and I've also mixed 4625/6006 with good results. When I melt them at work, there are some that I can smell outside of my classroom with the door shut out in the hallway and some I can only smell after I open the classroom door. I have had FO's that would waft all down the hallway and teachers thought we were cooking in our room. 

I really like KY's para/soy tart wax too.

Guest OldGlory

I made some really cute shaped tarts in silicone molds that were a 50/50 blend of 4625 and 464. You could but back a bit on the soy if you wanted, but these popped right out of the mold, had some of  the creaminess of soy, and held 8% FO load and were very strong.

Thank you for the tips. I've tried KY wax at 10% FO load and it's still meh. Honestly I don't like the wax even from other vendors. I just can't smell it at all.

What temp do you recommend to add FO? I've been doing it around 150-165. I haven't tried 464 yet but maybe I will next. I don't know why my results are not as good as other vendors. I've been pouring for a while now and it's mostly miss for me. Not okay.