very confused, please help

Hi my name is Mark and I am new to this. I have been trying to educate myself by reading thru the forum but I keep getting los over a few basic things. One of which is the type of wax people use. I tried to look up on the wick chart which wax was appropriate but I couldn't find the one I'm using. I use a 100% soy wax I think its called natures wax from Cargill, container blend. I also use palm wax container blend. Is there a code word for these cause mostly I see soy with beeswax. I'm trying to get a ballpark figure of which wicks to use for different size containers so that I use up all the wax. Does anyone use these types of waxes, please help me I'm wasting half the wax and not producing much light.

Here is a little help Cargil waxes will be called C2, C3 things like that. Palm are just called palm but astorlite Q wax is also palm I think. I don't use either but that might get you started on you search. We have quite a few Cargill users here so one of them should chime in soon.

If you post what problemsyou are having we may be able to help you figure out what to do next.

Hi and Welcome,

I'm probably the least likely one to give advise because I'm only in my 2nd month of candle making but I'll give it my best shot.

I've tested a little with C-3 (Cargill Container Blend) but not enough to give wick advise. There are so many variables to consider when wicking; first of all being which brand of wick you're using. When I purchased the C-3 the wholesale distributor (Lonestar) suggested using ECO wicks and they have a chart on their website for size suggestions. www.lonestarcandles.com I would suggest starting with your wax supplier - they should carry various brands of wicks and offer suggestions as to sizes. Mostly you will have to test, test, test. There is so much to learn about wicking and I learned so much from reading through the threads in this forum. If you post the size jars you're using and the brand of wicks I'm sure someone will jump on board and offer up their advise to at least put you in the right ball park. On one of the threads, I think the Premier one, I posted about testing wicks by testing different sizes in the same jar of wax. Sounds confusing I know. Check it out and if you can't find the thread I'll see if I can locate it for you. Good luck and don't give up.

Linda

I don't use that wax but I've got a couple of general tips. If you're just starting out try to pick one type of jar and master that first. A round straight up and down jar is probably the easiest to start with. When you decide what type of wick you want buy a sample pack of different sizes for testing. Wick-It will send you a free sample pack of their Premier series if you ask. To test and not waste wax make a candle without a wick. Then poke a hole with a skewer and put in a length of wick without the tab for testing. If that wick doesn't work just pull it out when it cools and try another size. The surface of your candle must be level when you start burning the next wick so you may need to heat gun it. Keep notes so you know what works with each combo of wax, dye and fo and container. Everyone is very helpful but you'll still need to test for yourself. It's funny how what works for one person doesn't work for the next.

As people say around here, welcome to your newest addiction!

Thanx to you all for responding! It feels nice that you took the time to help out, I've never really been a part of a chat room, I can see why everyone likes it here:bliss: :bliss: :bliss: . I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed and want to learn everything at once but5 at least I know others are or were in the same boat with the same struggles. Thanks again and I'll see you all later:tiptoe:

We only use C3 (Naturewax) from Cargill and we use the standard 8oz square side mason jars... We currently have about 25 different scents and we only have 1 of them that uses a different wick.

The wick we go through with everything but 1 scent is the HTP83. All of our candles burn cleanly down the jar and only on the rare occasion that the wick doesn't get totally centered is there any wax hangup on the sides.

You can message me off the board if you would like more information I can help you with that wax since we have been using it since day 1 and have pretty much tested everything possible with it.

Hope that helps!!

Mark