beeswax tapers using molds from Candlewic

Hi, everyone! Last year I got 15 taper molds from Candlewic. I have been sucessfully making beeswax tapers to sell in our shop. I use wax from Bulk  Apothecary. I use both the natural and bleached.

Now I am making advent candles. I color the wax with liquid dye. I can't seem to get a nice, even finished look. Sometimes they stick a little which is another issue but also they just don't look "smooth". Maybe the natural candles don't also but I can't tell.

I'm starting to panic as we're getting calls about when our candles will be ready. Last year I used tin molds and that had its own set of problems but I'm begining to think I got better results.

Candlewic said to pour at about 190-200. I haven't noticed this helps much.

Am I being too picky? I can't really show in a photo the finish of the candles.

I use silicone release spray and am just starting to use a release powder. Are the mold release sprays different than silicone spray?

THANKS!

Sister Mary Catharine

• Like 1

Are your new molds urethane rubber? Those stick sometimes on me too. I Get them as clean as possible, then spray lots of silicone release spray. Once they are primed up with release spray i can get several tapers out cleanly before needing to spray again.

Seems the pour temp recommended is awfully high. My beeswax gets to maybe 150-160 tops. If poured too hot i find they don't release very well. I don't let them get completely cold or they do stick more in my urethane molds.

I agree with TallTayl, as soon as my beeswax is melted I pour.  I don't check the temp. anymore, but it's around 150.   I used to use those urethane rubber molds from Candlewic, but had to much sticking for my liking even with lots of silicone spray and powdered mold release.  I have Mann Lake's silicone molds now and like them much better. 

ChrisR you're not the first person to say that Mann Lake molds are better. Unfortunately, I have 15 CW ones!

I contacted CW about the molds and they told me to pour at 180-190. As a whole the candles stick a lot less but it's the finish I'm not happy with. When I pour in a metal or plastic mold I get a nice smooth and even finish but not in the taper molds. Is this a problem with Mann Lake molds?

ChrisR you're not the first person to say that Mann Lake molds are better. Unfortunately, I have 15 CW ones!

I contacted CW about the molds and they told me to pour at 180-190. As a whole the candles stick a lot less but it's the finish I'm not happy with. When I pour in a metal or plastic mold I get a nice smooth and even finish but not in the taper molds. Is this a problem with Mann Lake molds?

I haven't had any problems with the finish on the Mann Lake tapers.  Even with the Candlewic tapers I never poured any higher than 150-160. I can't help you with  why you're not getting a good finish on your tapers, as I never had that problem. 

I haven't made beeswax tapers in molds yet, I have only hand dipped them.

Have you tried taking the finished taper that you are not satisfied with and then dipping it into really hot beeswax to give a perfectly even outer finish?  I would try that to at least be able to use the molds you have on hand.

An update! I poured a set at 180 and another at 170 and I notice a much better finish. Using mold release powder helped a lot.
When I started I wasn't using any mold release spray. When I contacted CW I wonder if they were thinking parafin, not beeswax candles.

Thanks, everyone, for your help! I have about 30 sets of tapers on order to make in the next few days besides the Advent candles so I'm super grateful!

God bless you!
Sister Mary Catharine

• Like 1

• 5 months later...