shipping

Guest OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

I am in my research mode today, and the subject is shipping. I live in TN which is probably pretty central considering population numbers. So far, I have plugged in weights and zip codes to get extreme distances for shipping in the US. And the cost is always the same for medium flat rate boxes and large flat rate boxes regardless of the distance with a very reasonable ship time.

For those who ship a lot, what carrier do you use, why, and how would you rate the overall results?

I ship a LOT as my business is 90%-95% online and nationwide.

I use USPS and try, when I can to use Regional Rate boxes. More economical. I am in Missouri which is right in the middle of the map and wouldn't you know that my data shows most of my customers are in the Northeast, Florida and California.

Many of my orders can be 5 pounds or more and shipping can get expensive for my customers.

I use a small (not flat rate) USPS box for Melt Cup orders of 6, this still allows for gift melts and then I slip that box into a Padded Flat Rate Envelope for a $5.70 shipping price. The box itself would cost more. I like the protection of a box. Those get torn up enough. I do not trust an envelope alone.

The Regional rate boxes do make a difference. The Regional Rate A can save me sometimes from having to use a Medium Flat Rate box and the cost is less. Regional Rate A boxes cost Between $5 and change to $9 versus an $11 and change Medium Flat Rate box. 

I cannot imaging shipping for those of you who ship lots of glass!

Guest OldGlory

JCandle, do you ever utilize the additional services? I wonder if people will play games with you - like saying the package never arrived so I want a refund, etc. If you add on the signature required service, they couldn't really say they didn't receive it. That sort of thing.

Guest OldGlory

jajc, that is so smart to put a box inside the envelope for added protection. What a great idea.

Do you have trouble with your customers lying to you about their delivery? Maybe I have spent too much time in person to person retail - I am used to really bad behavior, lol.

JCandle, do you ever utilize the additional services? I wonder if people will play games with you - like saying the package never arrived so I want a refund, etc. If you add on the signature required service, they couldn't really say they didn't receive it. That sort of thing.

I do sometimes - especially if it's a new customer. And I always get insurance. 

jajc, that is so smart to put a box inside the envelope for added protection. What a great idea.

Do you have trouble with your customers lying to you about their delivery? Maybe I have spent too much time in person to person retail - I am used to really bad behavior, lol.

I have not had issue with that. The delivery confirmation is included in the price and I have not had a person yet tell me a package did not arrive. If they did, they could file a claim with USPS but if it shows arrived then they would not likely get restitution from the USPS.

My customers are wax addicts. They watch and wait and post about the package being delivered that day and some also post pictures of what they got in their order. 

• Like 1

you are right to be suspicious. 

Many years ago a customer bought one of my memorial hurricane shells. She said it broke in transit and for me to replace it. I did no questions asked (my mistake) and she then ordered 5 more. She paid for them, I sent them, and she proceeded to say that all 5 again broke in transit and for me to replace them. Well, knowing (or presumably knowing) that the first one broke, I made sure that these ones would not break in transit and protected them so well that the only thing that would break these things is if a Mack Truck ran over them. I asked her to send me a picture, and started the process of making a claim for the insurance (I can't remember now if I was responsible for that or she was) I refused to budge at that point, she procrastinated with everything so long that the postal service wouldn't pay the insurance, and she refused to send me pics of the damaged product OR return them for a full refund or replacement upon my receipt of said damaged goods. 

Doesn't matter - short story long is that it ended up I found out she was lying, all  7 I had sent her, it turned out, were fine and she was just trying to scam me into making enough for her whole family without paying for any of them. 

So since then, yes, if its somebody I don't know or trust I will take the extra precautions to protect myself. 

I ship a lot. In fact, yesterday I shipped 18 packages! :)  It's getting busy and I'm happy.

I ship usps because it's just the logical choice for me and I'm very happy with them.   Usually first class with a poly bubble envelope. I ship priority when the orders are bigger.  Regional Rate boxes are great!   The only problems I've had are minor, and most of the time my fault because of typing wrong addresses or the customer giving wrong address. 

Guest OldGlory

There are so many scammers in the world. And, although I have no real facts, I think I live in the land of low tech scammers so maybe I see it more of it. That, and my personal experiences come to mind. Maybe by adding in the additional cost for a signature on delivery that will reduce the number of scammers.

Guest OldGlory

I ship a lot. In fact, yesterday I shipped 18 packages! :)  It's getting busy and I'm happy.

I ship usps because it's just the logical choice for me and I'm very happy with them.   Usually first class with a poly bubble envelope. I ship priority when the orders are bigger.  Regional Rate boxes are great!   The only problems I've had are minor, and most of the time my fault because of typing wrong addresses or the customer giving wrong address. 

Congrats SuzyK! Have you had any customers say they didn't receive their pkg when you know they did? and how did you handle that?

Yes, I've had a few. I've shipped many many packages and 99.9999% have been fine.   I had one recently where it said delivered and she said she didn't get it. I have no idea how to tell if they're telling the truth.  It has happened to me too.  I told her it said delivered so I told her to check with her post office, her neighbors and such to see.  She fought it a little but I told her once she does those things it would probably show up.  I didn't hear from her after that. I don't know if she was lying or she felt it just wasn't worth it. Hers was a pretty small order.

Most customers are honest people ordering online.  I've worked in retail too so I understand your apprehension.   I have the tough customer here and there but I deal with it as they come.  It can be a bit defeating but I try to focus on the positive and realize I have lots of happy customers.

I don't do the signature thing. Most deliveries happen when people are at work so that would make it really complicated.  You are covered if you use tracking and it says delivered.

Edited by SuzyK

Guest OldGlory

I see. Maybe the delivery confirmation is enough, and if it isn't, recourse should be thru USPS.

Thanks for all the replies! I have learned a lot this morning.  :biggrin:

We ship daily. Post Office and UPS, sometimes freight. We never use flat rate boxes, For local zones that the PO will deliver to in one day, we ship PO; we also use the PO for small pkgs under 13 oz. We use Priority Mail and First Class with tracking for all USPS pkgs. Everything else we ship UPS, which has tracking. We are not too concerned with cost of shipping because the customer pays for it. W have had a few people try to scam us, but the tracking stopped it. You would not believe how we wrap glass to ship; only had a couple pieces broken in-transit in years. Our policy, unless it is a wholesale customer, is to apologize, ship a replacement and never take

another order from that person.