Hot throw in IGI 4625

Klamb

I am having trouble getting a good hot throw in the IGI 4625 pillar blend wax in a 2 x 3.5 inch pillar. I add UV stabilizer at 1 tsp/lb, color (I use both the liquid and color block), and fragrance oil at 6%. Right now I am using 18 ply flatbraid wick. I have tried square braid, LX, CD, and zink core and I like how the 18 ply flatbraid is burning. The cold throw is good. This is happening in many fragrance oils so I do not believe it is that. I melt the wax at 195. Add the UVS, then the color, then add the fragrance oil at about 185 degrees. I stir for 3-4 minutes with the FO. I am thinking maybe my temperatures are the problem. I do plan on trying the LX wick again, maybe the LX 14 or 16 to see if that will help. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Klamb

I use 4625 and the hot throw is fine.  Years ago when I was having what I called snow flaking I search and the old Cierra site said to add 3 TBS stearic & 1 tsp vybar 103 per lb.  That took care of the flaking and I have done it ever since and candles turn out perfect.  I sell more pillars & votives on line than I do containers and have several repeat customers that order them. I heat to about 180-185, add 1 oz per lb and then pour.  

I think maybe it is the wick. I am used to working with beeswax where there is no scent. I feel maybe the LX wicks work better in parafin as far as hot throw than the ply flatbraid do. The flatbraid has such a pretty, even burning flame. The LX wick gets a tall flame - a bit on the scary side - if I don't keep trimming the wick about every hour. I need to experiment with another size LX to see if I can get a better burn/flame...one I feel safe with.

I use 24ply flat braid in my 4625 pillars and I get a great throw and a perfect burn with it.

However, I don't use vybar at all in that wax (it's already got vybar pre-blended and I'm afraid to bind my FO) and I only use stearic if I'm trying for a rustic. 

An 18ply fb is too small in my opinion for a 3" round pillar in the 4625, and that's probably why there is no throw with that wick. 

That is a pretty small candle, what size area are you burning it in?
Smaller diameter = smaller throw = best to burn in small areas.

That diameter would do well in a bathroom, closed up. It isnt going to scent a large space and the scent will become lost in one.

It is a 2 inch diameter candle. I did try burning it in a small half bath with the door closed with a 18 ply wick and can not smell it in the closed bathroom...even after burning it for 2 hours. But get this, I take it out on the deck and can smell it when I was next to it! I could not keep it out on the deck because there was just enough of a breeze to keep the flame fluttering. I am beginning to think maybe it is just me and paraffin wax. I am giving the candle to my brother-in-law to burn to see if he can smell it. 

I do appreciate everyone's inputs. At least I know I do have the correct wick sizes for the IGI 4625 (the 18ply for the 2 in candle and the 24 ply for the 3in candle).

Do you by chance have AC running while burning it and vents in the bathroom? I had so many problems when I first started and realized it was my heating/cooling system. The cold air returns would literally suck the scent right out of my house. I didn't realize this until I moved into a new house and the heating/cooling changed from window ac units and hot water radiators to forced air/ac.

Just food for thought. I always tried test buring with the AC and heat off for that reason.

Actually I do have the AC running when testing! And the bathroom does have a vent in it. I will have to try burning the candle with the AC off. Never would have thought of that. Maybe that is why I could smell the candle outside but not in the house.