Citrus Blend

Candybee

I was recruited by a company like YL - and they were all about direct application of EOs, including citruses. Wonder how many lawsuits these companies are involved in each year. Kind of a scary way to do business if you ask me.

I have a friend that is selling them so I got a good chance to really look at their stuff. I don't agree with their philosophy of direct application to the skin or injestion and I especially do not agree with their teaching its use.

But I do like some of blends. I espcially like their Theives blend. Very nice.

While doing research prior to making soaps (M&P) I read many articles on the safety factor of fragrance additives, both synthetic and natural. Some of those articles were quite detailed and a bit difficult to absorb (pun imtended). I chose to include that particular link because the article was not overly burdoned with jargon and scientific data, fairly to the point and an easy read for most crafters (IMO).

As a guy who shaves his face more than most members on the board (I hope! . . . LOL) I have personally experienced irritation from soaps that I have been testing, that I made myself. These same soaps have presented no issues except for when I use their rich and creamy lather to shave with. When I change or eliminate the fragrance from the base, the problem usually goes away. I'm pretty sure that shaving would be an excellent test for most soaps. I've read that some fragrances can irritate the genital area of women so I cannot offer a personal opinion on this, but my brother told me that one of my early "testers" made the head of his "charlie" itch! My guess is that scraping your face with a metal blade while it is slathered in the testing compound should be a good indication of how gentle that compound is on your skin. Just my opinion though! (Charlies excluded !!! )

I really didn't want to give any impression that I have anything to offer the members of the board on producing B&B products. My crafting experience has been primarily as a chandler. Before joing  Craft Server, I would have never have even considered making and selling B&B products. As I have stated more than a few times; "I'm soap stupid."

I really do consider quite a few members of the board as highly skilled technicians in the art of making products in the bath and body world. I've read many posts on this board and have been able to advance to the position that I decided to try it myself. I don't recall, however, mention of photo-sensitivity to citrus essential oils on the board.  There may be references. I'm just not aware of any.

My first encounter with this concern occurred when I spoke with Dr. Chang regarding the safety of his products for soap use. He carries an extensive line of essential oils. I had been buying his FO's and additives for years for candle production, but his site was a bit vaque about skin safety so I called him. We've had a number of phone conversations for a number of years. I like the guy.

Initially I was planning on going-all-out on a totally all-natural line of soaps including shaving soap. My brothers and I all use shaving soaps with brushes in the mugs to shave with. I've found that many of the commercially available canned shaving foams can leave my face feeling itchy and tight. I was using mass-marketed bars, but was excited that I would soon be making my own.

I really like citrusy scents, but when I went to order Chang's EO's, he offerred his concern that I may want to really consider switching-out some of the EO's for FO's. He went on to explain the concerns about photo-hyper-sensitivity. He even told me that he has an employee who is fairly allergic to his lemon and bergamot EO's, but is able to use his "synthetic" lemon without issue. He wasn't trying to discourage me from using EO's. He was only offering some (I believe) sound advice on testing.

Personally, I am testing citrusy FO's for making shaving and hand & bath soap. I'm on a mission to only use FO's that are IFRA rated, which really narrows the field of suppliers to choose from, but I feel I'm close to getting one that I like in terms of fragrance and safety.

I doubt that anything I can make will be as nice as the the shaving soap that Candy was so kind to send me to sample. I'm not offerring false praise when I write that she is a very talented soaper.

Some time ago I decided that I wasn't going to post anymore "opinions' or advice on this or any other board. I do enjoy swapping stories (usually funny) with my pals here, but I know I have very little to offer especially when it comes to making soaps and lotions. Check out my avatar. A picture is worth how many words?

I'm sorry if my posts have been a distraction in anyway.

Back to the world of wax! I'm encouraged for a change. Candle sales are picking-up.

Enjoy the fall!

Dave

• Like 4

I think you are being much too modest. I know I appreciate your opinions and you may not know that you have been very helpful in my decision making process.

You bring up another very important part of specialty soap making. Shaving soaps are different from bath soaps in that the sensitivity level is generally much greater with its use. By their nature shaving soaps are designed to shave you as close to the skin as possible. The shaving cream created from the shaving soap is used to heavily coat the face and stubble area saturating and penetrating into the skin and pores to soften it. That means that any fragrance used is also reaching into the skin and if its irrating can be a very unpleasant experience.

• Like 1

While doing research prior to making soaps (M&P) I read many articles on the safety factor of fragrance additives, both synthetic and natural. Some of those articles were quite detailed and a bit difficult to absorb (pun imtended). I chose to include that particular link because the article was not overly burdoned with jargon and scientific data, fairly to the point and an easy read for most crafters (IMO).

As a guy who shaves his face more than most members on the board (I hope! . . . LOL) I have personally experienced irritation from soaps that I have been testing, that I made myself. These same soaps have presented no issues except for when I use their rich and creamy lather to shave with. When I change or eliminate the fragrance from the base, the problem usually goes away. I'm pretty sure that shaving would be an excellent test for most soaps. I've read that some fragrances can irritate the genital area of women so I cannot offer a personal opinion on this, but my brother told me that one of my early "testers" made the head of his "charlie" itch! My guess is that scraping your face with a metal blade while it is slathered in the testing compound should be a good indication of how gentle that compound is on your skin. Just my opinion though! (Charlies excluded !!! )

I really didn't want to give any impression that I have anything to offer the members of the board on producing B&B products. My crafting experience has been primarily as a chandler. Before joing  Craft Server, I would have never have even considered making and selling B&B products. As I have stated more than a few times; "I'm soap stupid."

I really do consider quite a few members of the board as highly skilled technicians in the art of making products in the bath and body world. I've read many posts on this board and have been able to advance to the position that I decided to try it myself. I don't recall, however, mention of photo-sensitivity to citrus essential oils on the board.  There may be references. I'm just not aware of any.

My first encounter with this concern occurred when I spoke with Dr. Chang regarding the safety of his products for soap use. He carries an extensive line of essential oils. I had been buying his FO's and additives for years for candle production, but his site was a bit vaque about skin safety so I called him. We've had a number of phone conversations for a number of years. I like the guy.

Initially I was planning on going-all-out on a totally all-natural line of soaps including shaving soap. My brothers and I all use shaving soaps with brushes in the mugs to shave with. I've found that many of the commercially available canned shaving foams can leave my face feeling itchy and tight. I was using mass-marketed bars, but was excited that I would soon be making my own.

I really like citrusy scents, but when I went to order Chang's EO's, he offerred his concern that I may want to really consider switching-out some of the EO's for FO's. He went on to explain the concerns about photo-hyper-sensitivity. He even told me that he has an employee who is fairly allergic to his lemon and bergamot EO's, but is able to use his "synthetic" lemon without issue. He wasn't trying to discourage me from using EO's. He was only offering some (I believe) sound advice on testing.

Personally, I am testing citrusy FO's for making shaving and hand & bath soap. I'm on a mission to only use FO's that are IFRA rated, which really narrows the field of suppliers to choose from, but I feel I'm close to getting one that I like in terms of fragrance and safety.

I doubt that anything I can make will be as nice as the the shaving soap that Candy was so kind to send me to sample. I'm not offerring false praise when I write that she is a very talented soaper.

Some time ago I decided that I wasn't going to post anymore "opinions' or advice on this or any other board. I do enjoy swapping stories (usually funny) with my pals here, but I know I have very little to offer especially when it comes to making soaps and lotions. Check out my avatar. A picture is worth how many words?

I'm sorry if my posts have been a distraction in anyway.

Back to the world of wax! I'm encouraged for a change. Candle sales are picking-up.

Enjoy the fall!

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for posting this...you have done your research no doubt. You are, like me more candle savvy than body product savvy, but what you have posted here should really give people a pause for thought. We cannot go gung ho on making product thinking everything we make is going to be just fine for anybody to use, even us. Using EO's is our product is seriously something that should be approached with extreme caution and with thoughts of our customers first and foremost in mind. Excellent food for thought! Thanks Dave! :) Oh and PLEASE keep on giving us your opinionated opinion.......we ALL learn from EACH OTHER here on this board! This is what makes this board SO AWESOME! :) When we all share...we ALL learn! :)

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

I love cilantro. Lime and cilantro sounds nice too. But who has it?

I have plenty of time to think about it because I won't be adding the new soap until next year. Every week I keep changing my mind. Now I am thinking of my tried and true Ginger Lime from EBB. I had originally wanted it for my men's soap line. My customers love it. If I use it I only need a dash of lime EO.

Cilantro is the leaves off the coriander plant ... maybe look more at it as well you can get chopped cilantro from mountain rose herbal I believe and then steep/brew or soak it down with olive oil for a few weeks/months ... but maybe go for coriander instead. Unless you want to get it from doTerra. 

I realize Cilantro and coriander come from the same plant and different (before anyone says anything), but there might be enough herbal carryover from coriander 

Spark Naturals carries cilantro it appears, but you won't like the price tags on it ... find something that's affordable. We'd all love to work with the high price tag EOs, but since we don't, I find it almost exasperating that they be suggested as something to add to a mix. 25ml at SN is like $26 ... going to jump right on in there and get it, right? 

I suppose you could just dump FO in place of it in which case I'm sure it's available out there, but that might just kill the whole fun of using EOs. I realize that there are some FOs where it is more cost effective to use them instead of EOs so not trying to start a war here. Just would rather suggestions be something like affordable if talking about EOs. Maybe someone has an affordable one ... but kinda doubt it. 

Edited by Scented

I don't mind using FOs. I do in a lot of my soaps. I especially love using a FO that I can spark up by adding an EO or two. Lime type FOs work really well that way, Ginger Lime, Coconut Lime, etc. I just add a little bit of lime EO to it to make it pop.

I am still thinking of going with ginger lime with a dash of lime EO added for my shave soap. When I start making my shaving soap again I will try it out and see if I like before I explore the citrus blend again.

I think EBB or AH has a lime cilantro FO? I know I saw it somewhere. I may give that a try too. Thanks for the ideas. Its a lot to ponder.

Edited by Candybee