differences in wicks by suppliers

I am new to candle making, been dabbling off and on for about 6 months.  I am testing with CD wicks and have bought them from about 3 different suppliers.  I noticed that the CD5 from one supplier is larger than the CD6 from a different supplier.  Don't the wicks get bigger as the number gets bigger?  Should I only test with wicks that come from the same supplier? 

Absolutely pick one supplier and buy your wicks only from them.  Wick coatings are different from supplier to supplier and will burn differently and will throw off your wick testing.  I personally only buy from Candlewic because I can custom them to different lengths and wick coatings.

• Like 1

I have always used Nature's Garden for my CD wicks. Then one time I needed something from lonestar and though "I'll just get some extra CD 10s while I'm ordering since I'm low". When testing the batches of candles I made from them, I noticed the were burning as if they were a smaller wick. I had made a lot of candles with the Lonestar CD 10s.

That's how I learned this lesson the hard way.

BUT if kind of worked out because there have been some fragrances where a CD 8 is too small and a CD 10 is just slightly too large. So for those, I use the Lonestar CD 10s as a makeshift "CD9".

• Like 1

They are absolutely different UNLESS the companies are both buying from the same company that tabs them.

The tabbing machines (This is from Bruce with Wicks Unlimited btw) will put varying tension on the wicks causing them to burn differently. So if you are always using wicks from Company A who buys their tabbed wicks from XYZ supplier and buy from company B who also buys from XYZ supplier you'd be fine BUT If you buy from Company C who buys their tabbed wicks from Z supplier, chances are they will burn differently. The wax coating really has no effect at all on how the candles burn long term as it only serves as fuel when the candle is first lit and they melt off during the process of making the candle but that tabbing tension absolutely makes the difference :)

• Like 1