Maintaining the Presto Kitchen Kettle

Okay, picked one up from Wallyworld a week ago for $25. It's smaller than I envisioned, but it will do. My next step is to retrofit it with a ball valve tapper, removable caster wheel carriage on the bottom, and adjustable digital thermometer arm up top.

I plan to mix dyes and FO's right in it using a flat bottomed wire whisk, then pour into polycarbonate votive mold like I'm a bartender with a speed tapper, wheel it to the next one, repeat...

My question is this- what would you use to maintain the kettle? I will keep it warm, pour out what little is left into a repurpose designated container, then use an old t-shirt to absorb what's left. BUT- what about residual fragrance and / or liquid dye? I may switch to a new color and / or scent and I don't want to co-mingle the ingredients. And I REALLY don't want one kettle for each color and / or fragrance.

Any help is appreciated!

Well, if your Presto is teflon lined, a wire whisk will not be your friend. You will quickly get abrasions in the teflon which will result in flecks in your wax.

I do not know anyone who uses a separate Presto for each scent!

I have a Presto, but mine is Stainless. I typically use my turkey fryer so that I do not have to load it with wax several times during a pouring session.

I do not mix FO in my Presto nor my turkey fryer. I use them only to melt wax. I do not use dye but blend the melted wax with my FO in a separate pour pot. I prefer glass since they are easy to clean between batches.

Thanks Karen. Perhaps I'll find an alternative to the whisk. I'm hesitant to mix in a separate vessel; sounds messy, and how can you be sure temp will hold long enough to blend dyes, FO's then pour? Seems you would quickly lose 10-15 degrees?

I have 2 Presto pots and I just pour it into a pouring pot. I use a Wilton Silicone spatula to stir, etc. I love it. I never have a problem mixing in fragrance and dyes. It takes a bit of time to cool down 10-15 degrees. 

I just give the pouring pot a wipe and on to the next scent and color. Sometimes I have to do a real cleaning job of my pouring pot first which I don't enjoy! The silicone spatula is great for scraping out softening wax. 

Just trying to understand the reasoning behind going from one vessel to another then to a mold, when you could just pour straight from the tapper to the mold?

Do you ever run into residual dyes or scents in the Presto?

If I were pouring 7-8 pounds of one scent I would scent in the Presto and pour my product. If I wanted to do test pours or pour a pound of 7-8 different scents I would not want to clean the Presto out and weigh my waxes with each scent. I would pull out a pound, scent it, pour and repeat with the next scent.

So, it would depend on what I was doing.

I melt all my wax in my presto then transfer using the spigot into my pour pot. FO's and color is added in the pour pot, then I pour. I wouldn't want to do the FOs and color in the Presto because I like having the Presto full of melted "virgin" wax that I can split into whatever amounts I need for whatever scents I'm pouring..

• Like 1