CD Wick Question

The issue I have with the CD wicks is that the flame "Grows". I am testing 4786 wax. 5% FO load. 16 oz. Mayo Jar. About 3 inches in Diameter. The initial burn was ok-- nice still and steady flame, and it burned out to the sides in 3 hours.  Before the next burn,  I trim the wick down using a wick trimmer and try to angle it to get the shortest trim possible. But when I light the candle, the flame grows very high and flickers like crazy.  So I extinguish the flame, and use a nail clipper to trim a wee bit shorter and relight. Then I get a very small flame. - I am at a loss. I am using a CD 14. Any suggestions? 

• 2 weeks later...

I would use a zinc wick with that wax and at least a 6% fo load. Zincs are cool burning and constructed to work best with paraffin wax blends. They do mushroom a lot (carbon build up) but they handle paraffin well. The alternative wick might be an LX but maybe you just need to test a wide assortment of wicks. Did you get a lot of soot from the cd wicking system?  HTH

Steve