Aroma Beads, HELP!

CandleAddict_RN

So I've made both aroma beads for sachets and ornies using BC aroma beads and their recipe which calls for 4tbsp aroma beads, 1tbsp FO. Always worked well, with occasionally needing to add a few more beads with some oils. Always absorbed in a couple days. So I decided to make a larger batch than usual with same recipe 4:1 and 2 of the oils I've used in the past. I started with 16tbsp beads to 4tbsp FO using Clean Cotton from LS and Green Clover & Aloe from Peak. I also made White Tea & Ginger from Peaks. So here after a month and adding 8 tbsp more of aroma beads they STILL are VERY oily  :mad:  I mix them in jars and shake lots. This morning I resolved to dump them out onto a paper towel and placed it all into a ziplock bag to absorb the remaining oil. So frustrating!! Let me mention that these last aroma beads were mixed with some from SWC but I thought I had used them before without any problems. SOOOO........For those that make these,

1. Have you found a difference in aroma beads from different suppliers? How well they absorb?

2. Is there a better recipe or ratio to use that you have found?

Would love some input!

Guest OldGlory

Have you tried putting them in a very warm place - like on top of the dryer, in direct sunlight (unless there is vanilla content in the FO)?

i have not noticed a difference in the absorbency (sp?) of aroma beads from different suppliers (I've ordered beads from BCN and Aztec), but there might be other circumstances that aren't being considered - age of beads, especially before being sent to you. Might be other considerations.

I haven't tried the top of the dryer and the house has only been at 66-70 degrees. Will try a warmer spot on my next batch. I was hoping it wouldn't be based on supplier as SWC is only 30minutes from me. :)  And come to think of it, my dear hubby mentioned that maybe the beads might be to old but I blew him off thinking that wouldn't be a factor, lol. I have had them for a couple months or so. How long do you think the shelf life might be on them? Unscented that is.

Guest OldGlory

I have no idea what the shelf life would be for aroma beads - but some plastics morph with age, so it's a possibility. I have used beads that were several years old - with success. A few months shouldn't make a difference, but you don't know how long the supplier had them.

please don't tell me they have changed their beads!  I have used BCN beads for years and have had them unscented for a year and had no problem.  I have a corn bag that I zap in the microwave and set stubborn scents on it to speed the process.  If your heat is on, put them near a register.

wait, SWC??  did you get beads from BCN or BCS?

Ok, I looked back in my file and I first bought them from BCN. The last time I bought some which was last May was from SWC. I used up the last of what I had on these batches so I may now need to buy some from both places and test them separately to see if that was the culprit.  Hopefully not as I'd like to buy locally. You know if I have to place an order to BCN it's not just going to be aroma beads.  :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I have had excellent results from using beads from both NG and S G.

I use the 50% formula. I sent my neice a sachet of a combination of Jamaica me crazy and monkey farts in Feb and my sister just called today and said it still smells awesome. Beads from SG are cheaper.