This could get expensive...

scarlett

Trying to find a wax or wax blend that will work for the clamshell scent bars is going to be expensive, I think.  I purchased JoyWax and PIllar of Bliss of Bliss and the JoyWax was too soft and the Pillar of Bliss doesn't have a great throw.  So, I am mixing the JoyWax with the POB but I don't think that is going to be my final blend.  I wish we could order smaller amounts to test.

Haha! Yeah, my tax guy just stared at me this year!

Peak sells nice 2 pound packages of many waxes. It is worth the investment (sure, it is cheaper by the case but not if you do not like it) to order a bunch of 2 pound samples, play, research, blend, keep great notes and then buy larger sizes of waxes that work best with your system.

• Like 1

Haha, it is crazy how fast it adds up. I started out by ordering just one eencie weencie little bottle of pumpkin oil to use as a freshener and 4 years later I have 2 of those 3 drawer stackable plastic storage sets completely filled to the brim with oils, plus bottles stuck here and there and anywhere I can find a spot in my armoire. The UPS guy just dropped off 1 of the 4 shipments I am expecting this week. This one was the wax. Ugh. So much for just wanting a little pumpkin room freshener oil.  

• Like 1

Haha, it is crazy how fast it adds up. I started out by ordering just one eencie weencie little bottle of pumpkin oil to use as a freshener and 4 years later I have 2 of those 3 drawer stackable plastic storage sets completely filled to the brim with oils, plus bottles stuck here and there and anywhere I can find a spot in my armoire. The UPS guy just dropped off 1 of the 4 shipments I am expecting this week. This one was the wax. Ugh. So much for just wanting a little pumpkin room freshener oil.  

Sounds like me when I started making soap! 

Haha! Yeah, my tax guy just stared at me this year!

Peak sells nice 2 pound packages of many waxes. It is worth the investment (sure, it is cheaper by the case but not if you do not like it) to order a bunch of 2 pound samples, play, research, blend, keep great notes and then buy larger sizes of waxes that work best with your system.

I'll have to check them out.  I just decided to give the bars a try and went with NG since I ordered from them before.  The smallest they had was 10lbs. YIKES!  I have alot of bars to make before I can go to the next I want to try!

Holy Candlemaking Jabe!  Are you still in the testing phase?

Yes, I guess you could say so. After I get my shipment (today YAY!) I think I'll have a final decision on my wax blend once I do some testing with it. I feel like I 'know' my answer though. I have not attempted to sell anything yet, but hoping to start selling soon. I have my website all ready to go. I have been only working on candles and wax melts so far. I am wanting to do lotions, lip balms, and maybe some room sprays. I do not care do try soaps. I say that now, but maybe later I'll change my mind.

I spent a lot of my money on SHIPPING wax from NC to IN. That was expensive. I have found a closer place in January. It's going to cut my prices down a lot. Some of my other expenses came from the website I have and a new printer for my labels etc.

I hope I'm being realistic that this will end up being something I can do at home and make what I make now at my 'real' job. I would love to have a shop of course. My hubby said once we get online and start selling there and locally from home that maybe in 6 months we can get one. Who knows. I'm dreaming a lot.........

Edited by JABE

Landing on a wax blend was expensive. What I thought I would go with is not where I landed after extensive testing.

This week I have sunk all of my money into the "business' stuff. Annual insurance, an Illustrator to recreate my canoe image, Facebook and etsy cover images, all of the state forms and fees. The boring and expensive stuff!

I would never make on my melts what I make in my "real" job. I wish that I could!

• Like 1

I would never make on my melts what I make in my "real" job. I wish that I could!

I'm having a feeling I won't either. I make good money as a nurse, and I love being a nurse. I just love candles, melts & scents. Anything that looks and smells good. And to be able to create in myself gives me a sense of pride and accomplishment.

I have already done what I need to legally sell. I did not find it expensive. Are doing more than just a DBA? I do need insurance before I sell and as far as I know that's the only step I have left.

Yes, I guess you could say so. After I get my shipment (today YAY!) I think I'll have a final decision on my wax blend once I do some testing with it. I feel like I 'know' my answer though. I have not attempted to sell anything yet, but hoping to start selling soon. I have my website all ready to go. I have been only working on candles and wax melts so far. I am wanting to do lotions, lip balms, and maybe some room sprays. I do not care do try soaps. I say that now, but maybe later I'll change my mind.

I spent a lot of my money on SHIPPING wax from NC to IN. That was expensive. I have found a closer place in January. It's going to cut my prices down a lot. Some of my other expenses came from the website I have and a new printer for my labels etc.

I hope I'm being realistic that this will end up being something I can do at home and make what I make now at my 'real' job. I would love to have a shop of course. My hubby said once we get online and start selling there and locally from home that maybe in 6 months we can get one. Who knows. I'm dreaming a lot.........

Wow!  Sounds like you have got a plan!  What software do you use for your labels?  I hope you get to open a shop - that would be a dream come true!

Landing on a wax blend was expensive. What I thought I would go with is not where I landed after extensive testing.

This week I have sunk all of my money into the "business' stuff. Annual insurance, an Illustrator to recreate my canoe image, Facebook and etsy cover images, all of the state forms and fees. The boring and expensive stuff!

What kind of insurance do you have?

I'm having a feeling I won't either. I make good money as a nurse, and I love being a nurse. I just love candles, melts & scents. Anything that looks and smells good. And to be able to create in myself gives me a sense of pride and accomplishment.

You know, the more I think about it I change my mind a lot on what I think is going to be the realistic end result. I think you have to spend money to make money. If it was that easy to work from home or start your own business everyone would do it. I do have the hopes of making what I make at 'work'. Only time will tell. I have barely got my feet wet, but I remain hopeful. If I can't quit my 'real job' by doing this I will be satisfied with an extra income doing something I love, and maybe be able to retire early or help with my kids college education etc.

• Like 1

Oh, I do not mean to be discouraging! There are plenty of sweet people here who do this as a full time career and have so for years, successfully! I only make one format, like to use higher end supplies than I really should and do not have my product priced appropriately. All wrong. The successful ones who you will meet here have done a better job than me in all of those areas.

I make enough to keep my wax, oils and other supplies coming right back in the door. That may not be satisfactory to some nor enough to support us financially but for now, it works for me!

• Like 1

Expensive?  That's an understatement.  I have a spreadsheet I've used for a couple of years now in Excel and I try to not look at the total at the bottom.  I'm normally good about entering invoices for my purchases, but I don't want to look at the total so they are accumulating in a pile because I don't want to enter them.  Hanging head.

Expensive?  That's an understatement.  I have a spreadsheet I've used for a couple of years now in Excel and I try to not look at the total at the bottom.  I'm normally good about entering invoices for my purchases, but I don't want to look at the total so they are accumulating in a pile because I don't want to enter them.  Hanging head.

LOL I am in TOTAL denial and I'm just starting!