thermometer/FO per pound

Malbug02

Hello....I have been making tarts for family and selling just a few

here and there. I enjoy it, but just can't do it on the scale that some of the companies do.....I don't have time for hundreds of orders. Anyway, I was wondering what is the best thermometer to use for temps? I have been using a candy one, but they seem to need calibrated all the time, and now are not working.

As for my question on fragrance oil, I had a fellow candle maker/friend tell me that she puts 3oz of fragrance oil per pound. I keep reading that most only use 1-1.5 oz per pound. I did make some with the 3oz, and my family said they were very strong. I use a parasoy blend of wax for my tarts. I hate to cut back and not have tarts that have a strong smell, but I am afraid I am using too much fragrance oil. any thoughts on this? Thanks for any suggestions!

I prefer a digital thermometer such as this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-1478-21-Stainless-Programmable-Thermometer/dp/B001GD1WHU/ref=sr_1_15?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1391957726&sr=1-15&keywords=probe+thermometer+taylor

I do not know a wax that can hold 3 oz./pp as your friend suggests. I push my FO use to the max the wax will bear and it is MUCH less than that.

Thank you so much for the thermometer suggestion!

I did make a few tarts with the 3oz and it seemed to do well.....I have some that I made a couple of months ago, and there is no oil seeping out or anything like that. But if I can use less and still have great smelling tarts, I would love to do that......using 3oz uses the fragrance oil up pretty quickly!

Thanks again for your help:)

NG's Pillar of Bliss is an excellent blended wax...I've used it myself & upped the fo load a bit beyond the 1%/lb. Some fo's aren't meant to blow you away, though, like in the natural world. But, there are many strong throwers that 1% in that particular wax will blow you away.

NG's Pillar of Bliss is an excellent blended wax...I've used it myself & upped the fo load a bit beyond the 1%/lb. Some fo's aren't meant to blow you away, though, like in the natural world. But, there are many strong throwers that 1% in that particular wax will blow you away.

Crud, I just realized I wrote 1%...I'd meant 1 oz. BIG difference. Regardless...I'm sure you know what I meant.