Anyone use 21oz Status Jars?

Hey y'all - does anyone here use 21oz Status jars for their candles? I'm asking because I have the worst time with 4627 pulling away from the sides of these. Plus they're not a size that provides a crowd-pleasing price point. I'm wondering if I should just chuck them. Anybody have good luck with them? Or not?

Definitely the price point is getting them, I had a hard time selling some largish container candles till I made them into custom/seasonal/rare type candle.

What temperature are you pouring the 4627, and are you putting them into a cardboard box or something to help insulate?

I am guessing that since the glass is tall and somewhat narrow the sides are cooling way too quickly and so pulls away from the sides.

I've noticed that in any large type container that if I don't insulate the jars this can happen, or even cause a sinkhole to appear.

Paper ream boxes work well or an old cooler works great too, though you are limited in how much you can pour and storing the boxes and or cooler.

I found the easiest is to just pour and put them back into the shipping boxes that the jars came in. I just then start stacking the boxes on top of each other as I fill them.

HTH

I actually pour them and insulate them with Styrofoam custom boxes, so they come out of there looking beautiful. I find that when I take them to the basement to store them (maybe a 10 degree cooler change in temp) they will pull away in parts. Sooooo frustrating! I guess it's just the temperature changes and the fact that the glass is thinner near the top. Every time I drag them out to sell them I have to hit them with the heat gun to get rid of the nasty wet spots. Thanks for the advice!

Oh....

I thought you were having issues with the wax behaving wrongly, not wet spots.

Not much you can do about wet spots unless you store the finished product in a room over 70f temp or so, and no guarantees there :(

Have you noticed this same pulling away from the sides on smaller jars, or is it just localized to the bigger jars?

I have found that most customers have no clue what a wet spot on a candle even is, and don't really notice or care about them.

Have you seen some of the commercial candles out there? They are HORRIBLE when it comes to appearance (IMO anyway - and not all, but most) and customers buy them right up!!

In my years of doing this, I have learned what people care about mostly are scent first and foremost, type of candle second (container, pillar, votive, etc.,) and appearance LAST, so I stopped worrying about how a candle actually looks (for the most part) years ago.

I mean, I still want to make a nice looking candle, but as long as it burns correctly - wet spots IMO or too insignificant to even give a second thought too.

I know I shouldn't care, but I guess I'm too OCD to overlook it. We have a big wholesale show this weekend, and the status jars kind of scream UGLY with wet spots. Especially big, huge, honkin', half-the-side-of-the-glass wet spots. IMO they just shouldn't be there. Hmph.

I know I shouldn't care, but I guess I'm too OCD to overlook it. We have a big wholesale show this weekend, and the status jars kind of scream UGLY with wet spots. Especially big, huge, honkin', half-the-side-of-the-glass wet spots. IMO they just shouldn't be there. Hmph.

I completely understand that, but at the same time, you can either embrace the wet spots, or fight a losing battle. For years I used to fight that battle and would just end up upsetting myself more than need be. I am so much happier with my product now that I've embraced that those wet spots are just a natural part of jar candles - especially when literally nobody except candle-makers even care.

Unless you use a wax that will completely pull away from the jar (and then be sloppy inside the jar) you will get these spots. It's just the nature of the beast.

Hopefully you can find a happy medium and not drive yourself crazy. We've all been there! :)

I completely understand that, but at the same time, you can either embrace the wet spots, or fight a losing battle. For years I used to fight that battle and would just end up upsetting myself more than need be. I am so much happier with my product now that I've embraced that those wet spots are just a natural part of jar candles - especially when literally nobody except candle-makers even care.

Unless you use a wax that will completely pull away from the jar (and then be sloppy inside the jar) you will get these spots. It's just the nature of the beast.

Hopefully you can find a happy medium and not drive yourself crazy. We've all been there! :)

BINGO!!!! :) Don't mention them and no one else will either.... all the customer cares about is a well made candle with a wonderful scent throw. I've made candles for going on 14 years now and ALL my jars candles have wet spots.....does anyone care?......nooooooo. Do they care about the scent?....yesssss. Hope this helps you come to a "Embrace the wet spots" moment. It's all good.....seriously ! :) Oh and forgot .....yes, I do carry the 21 oz Status Jars....I love them and my customers do also. I will NEVER quit carrying them and yes they all have wet spots and it IS all good! :)

Edited by puma52