First Pillars

OlyEric

My first two pillars. I thought I would share how these turned out. This is my first pillar experience with nothing more than the knowledge I have picked up on these boards.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. :bow:

Feedback is a gift :)

Vitals below the pics if interested.

post-30415-139458515294_thumb.jpg

I was really experimenting with how different temps affect the surface and was very pleasantly surprised by the results. I'm going to build a photobox in the future so I can better capture surface textures when I share.

Both candles:

1 lb CalWax #5

1 dye block

1 tsp Poly AC

no fragrance

2/0 cotton square braid

The purple I let the presto get it to 200 and maintained in the pour pot at 185, added the dye and Poly, poured @ 180. The sea foam I held at 175, added dye and Poly at 170, and poured at 165. Both air cooled on the counter and I poked around in them about the 25 min mark and let them finish cooling in the oven. 2nd pour on both were 10 over the initial pour.

The lit pic is the 3rd 3-4 hour burn on this pillar. It lives in my living room in my small apartment. It was apparent after the first burn that my surface was not level. Made adjustment for the next two burns. I am fairly pleased at how it burns and my fiance's reaction made me smile. I was thinking I want to see how a number 1SB burns so I poured a couple yesterday at a bit lower temps. I just finished the second pour on those before sitting down to geek out for a bit. If they turn out, I will share more pics.

post-30415-139458515284_thumb.jpg

post-30415-139458515296_thumb.jpg

two very different candles and both are beautiful! I'm not familiar with the wax, but I find most of my 3" pillars burn well with 3/0 square braid. I'm partial to the square because I make square and octagonal rustic pillars...just my preference.

Not familiar with your wax either. Colors look good, but what did you use one dye block on ... I'm going to guess on the purple one am I right? That's a lot of dye for the size IMO (unless your poured quite a few more, then forget I said that lol). On the candle that is lit, how much has burned off? I'm thinking the next time you could wick up. The way the pix looks, I'm wondering if you won't get a blow or a good size bulge at mid-point. I also think more of the candle could have been consumed.