hemp seed oil, guess how much $$ ~ Now I need your help!

fabulousfunfur

I got hemp seed oil and hemp seed nuts (shelled - quite yummy actually!) from the health food store. WOW What an expense.

Remember this is Canadian prices:

$26.99 for 946ml hemp seed oil (WOW! EXPENSIVE OIL!)

$2.79 56 g hemp seed nuts (good price) - to put in the soap too for fun.

I have been wanting to make hemp seed oil soap for a while now!

I posted here about finding a recipe but didn't really get a great response.

I really want to make a 32 oz batch, and as natural as can be for problem skin.

I want to make it more like a castile type of soap.........with olive oil, hemp seed oil, and castor oil, but I think it won't be hard enough........

I have made castile with just 90% olive and 10% castor, and it is always hard..........Any suggestions?

I'll make it with coconut if I have to but I want to use as much hemp as possible and want it as green as possible.........

AS WELL: Should I leave some of the hemp seed oil out until saponification?

PLLLEEAASSEEE help me with a recipe or suggest something.

I'm itching to make this. Tonight I hope! Maybe tomorrow.........

I would not use more than 10% of the hemp seed oil in your recipe due to it's susceptibility of going rancid (short shelf life) and if you haven't already, I'd add some ROE to the hemp seed you are adding to your recipe and keep the remaining stuff in the refrig or freezer (unthaw in refrid the next time you want to use it).

Do not take to high of a discount either, I wouldn't go any higher than 5%.

I don't superfat anymore because I honestly don't notice a difference when doing so, so IMO, I find it an unnecessary step.

Comfrey infused gives a green color I think, not sure about that, I'd have to look, anyway if you are after a natural bar with natural colors, you might want to obtain that a different way other than the hemp, because you want a bar that lasts a long time too, not getting dos in 4-6 months.

If all you want in your recipe is hemp, olive and castor, I'd do it like this.

Hemp 10%

Castor 10%

Olive 80%

Infuse the olive with an herb and stay away from FO's and use EO's instead.

Then again, problem skin, I like oatmeal in the batch. You could make oat milk and use that as part of your liquid and then grind up oats too, or just sprinkle on top.

This will make a soft bar of soap. Adding 20% coconut oil will help, but it's still gonna be on the softer side. With a good cure it should be fine though.

i agree with rebecca on the amounts she suggested for the hemp oil. really, over that much is not necessary. i suppose you could push it up a little to 15 (i have done 20 and there wasn't enough of a difference to keep doing it, especially with the added cost)

also, hemp oil won't freeze. i keep mine in the freezer and just pull it out when i want to use it.