A change of pace

First post for me after lurking here for a very long time. I learned to dip tapers over 20 years ago and loved doing it, but I was young and other things took over my free time. This year I beat my cancer and decided that I needed to get back to something that gives me joy and provides an outlet for energy I have.

A local woman moving out of the area sold me all her gear and I am a few days away from beginning the journey. I have a few things still to pick up and an inventory to do of all the gear, but I am close... I checked in with my local supplier today and picked up some color blocks and drips and made an introduction. Oh yeah, I still need to clean everything....

Once I get an inventory together and know what I have to play with, I am going to try to formulate my strategy based on what I have read here over the last few months for my first pour. I am patient, methodical, and a little OCD, so I know I have the aptitude for pillars and just pray I have the creativity to make what I envision. I have no grandiose ideas of selling anything anytime soon if ever, but I want to create the best burning candles for my home use and for close friends while just enjoying the craft. I burn a ton of tealights and votives so that is where I will be starting. I would love to be able to make my own candles for my upcoming wedding 05/2014, but not sure if I can test enough while learning in that short of a time. We shall see.

Outside of my love of the flickering flame, I am a USMC veteran, love to fish out of my kayak, work in the IT field, and love to cook. I look forward to hopefully developing new relationships, sharing my successes and failures, and hopefully contribute to this community in a way that continues to share the joy of candle making with others that may have the same questions I am sure to have as I learn.

Semper Illuminatur!

Welcome. What a great post. You are an inspiration. Congratulations on your cancer victory, overcoming many life challenges and your engagement!

Extra credit bonus points from me for IT and a passion for cooking :)

This candle crafting took me a little off guard. On one hand I was a little surprised at how complex it can be and on the other I am really enjoying the process and challenge. I have a lot to learn yet and I'm glad to have found this community to share the experience with. It's a good group.

Good luck and happy crafting!

SYN ACK FIN

Thanks for the kind words, I have never been called inspirational but pray I can continue to make people smile.

I am currently suffering from idea overload and my brain is full of wax...I think Sharyl's tutorial on the photo embedded hurricanes was the tipping point. Yeah, I gotta try that as I would love to make 'canes for my 3 boys. They live about 12 hrs South of me and I don't get to see them enough. Having their smiling faces in a flickering 'cane would make my work area... Maybe some puzzle piece embeds around the picture for my autistic middle son...hmm....

Welcome to the "Funny Farm" and understand you aren't in Kansas anymore. I began with a votive kit from Cajun Candles and was rewarded with a positive first effort. The pursuit of a perfectly made votive, container, melt, hurricane or pillar will drive you to purchase lots of stuff and quickly take over your home; even with a well thought out strategy (trust me on this one). Get a kit from a reliable company and learn that medium from the ground up. Stay away from soapers and fragrances fiends at all cost (literally) and have fun. This will take you over and people will look at you in that "way" when you start talking about wax, wicks, fos, jars, molds, raw materials, shipping, labels, color, equipment and oh yes, fragrance oils. Break a leg.

Steve

I was going to do my first melt and pour this afternoon, but this storm, rain, and cold, has me holding off from trying. I will be pouring in my little garage, and the winds are just too bad today.

I already dread figuring out "proper cooling" techniques in my garage as a 70 degree garage is a very rare thing up here. I think this week my average garage temp peaked at 56.

So instead, I have been doing what IT people do and crunching data and figuring out color recipes I want to try, etc... Ok, so maybe a little SimCity5 to keep my creative juices flowing....

Not very fulfilling in itself, but keeps the mind moving.