What kind of internet security do you recommend?

Juggy

I have been reading consumer reports, etc. on the most effective virus protection/internet security but they all reports are not the same. My AVG is up for renewal but it has dropped in the ranks. I am not savvy in this area. Any of you computer experts have a recommendation? Thanks

I switched from AVG to Avast about a year ago. In my real world experience Avast out performs AVG considerably. Avast isn't quite a resource hog like many others and doesn't impair some of our aging computers as much. Avast has caught a lot more email trojans that AVG passed right on through as well. Is it the best available right now? I do not know. I haven't researched any yet this year. What I do know is I haven't had to clean an employee PC in a long long time. That makes me happy.

I have gone through many programs - each has their pros and cons. I eventually stopped using the ones that have yearly fees. I now have the one time paid version (but there is a free version) of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (for protection against spyware and other nasties) and since I have a Windows computer I use the free Microsoft Security Essentials for virus protection. I figure Microsoft wants to protect it's products. Both programs work well together, have automatic updates and have proven to have instantly stopped virus and infected files for me. I have never had a problem using these programs - as compared to a few other virus and malware programs I used to use.

After getting hit the last two weeks with the FBI ransom virus on the desktop, and then getting hit 4 days later with the Zero Access Trojan on my laptop...I made some HUGE changes in my security.

The fine volunteers on Malwarebytes.org in their forum helped me get rid of both. I immediately bought the lifetime licenses of Malwarebytes PRO for both computers (total was 41 and change).

It was recommended that I use Avast ( by the genius gentleman that helped me with zero access removal )...which is free, so I went with that. I was using Microsoft Security Essentials...but I read something on that forum...or on bleepingcomputer.com about Microsoft will no longer support MSE soon, so decided to switch. MSE DID quarantine both viruses but didn't stop the intrustion. I can't recommend malwarebytes enough as a backup malware scanner. I have no problems running both Avast and mbp on either comp.

There is a relatively new threat out there called CryptoLocker...please be very careful if you use Outlook mail...seems to be spreading via a PDF file with a zip inside...mostly from courier services notifying you of a missed delivery. You can get it at a website too..but the majority seem to be coming via Microsoft outlook...which most business professionals use. You can read about that at bleepingcomputer...which is an awesome site.

After getting hit the last two weeks with the FBI ransom virus on the desktop, and then getting hit 4 days later with the Zero Access Trojan on my laptop...I made some HUGE changes in my security.

The fine volunteers on Malwarebytes.org in their forum helped me get rid of both. I immediately bought the lifetime licenses of Malwarebytes PRO for both computers (total was 41 and change).

It was recommended that I use Avast ( by the genius gentleman that helped me with zero access removal )...which is free, so I went with that. I was using Microsoft Security Essentials...but I read something on that forum...or on bleepingcomputer.com about Microsoft will no longer support MSE soon, so decided to switch. MSE DID quarantine both viruses but didn't stop the intrustion. I can't recommend malwarebytes enough as a backup malware scanner. I have no problems running both Avast and mbp on either comp.

There is a relatively new threat out there called CryptoLocker...please be very careful if you use Outlook mail...seems to be spreading via a PDF file with a zip inside...mostly from courier services notifying you of a missed delivery. You can get it at a website too..but the majority seem to be coming via Microsoft outlook...which most business professionals use. You can read about that at bleepingcomputer...which is an awesome site.

Thanks Debbie for your 'heads-up' concerning Microsoft Security Essentials and the advise on using Avast. I posted a reply earlier (also about Malwarebytes Pro) but I also have the Essentials. So... it's time for a change to a better antivirus solution! Thanks once again for your posting.

Hey Juggy, yep, Avast has a free version. I like a few things about it. It's not slowed down the computer at all...it also has a browser clean up tool as well as an updater too for java and adobe etc...which are common vulnurabilites for Trojans, viruses, malware to exploit etc. When I had gotten those viruses...both my adobe and java were outdated severely and I had the old versions still installed in control panel. I never think to check those for updated versions.....and now I can just check everything thru avast.

Glenn...from all that I have read, MSE was always good...but in my two instances, it just didn't cut it LOL.