Wick Purchasing Question/Dilemma

I am sure that a majority of you guys are familiar enough with the process to know which type of wick you typically prefer, sizes, etc. and probably don't have to branch out as much as when you first started.

As a total newcomer, what would you recommend as far as purchasing wicks in the most cost effective way? I ordered sample packs of some of the more popular types of wicks, and each sample pack comes with 5 of each size for that wick. The other packs I see are 100 ct each or larger. I ordered 3 sample packs, and I ordered a couple of 100 ct packs of 2 sizes based on CS recommendations (which I realize can easily be WAY off depending on factors.)

So my question is, when I run out of the sample packs, because lets say I can get use out of 10-15 of the wicks in the pack (I'm only using one jar size as of right now), where should I purchase packs of wicks? Is there anywhere that you guys purchase locally, do you place orders for only wicks, or do you always order a few packs of wicks with your FO/wax/supply orders? It doesn't seem very cost effective to pay shipping on a few packs of wicks alone, and as someone who isn't bulk purchasing yet I wondered if anyone had a little advice about that?

I am pretty new as well but I will share my experience and thoughts so far.

You are right on track. Testing is expensive. Mainly because you are not buying in bulk. The best thing you can do right now is try to combine your purchases as often as you can. Wax/fragrance/wicks/dye/additives/containers. Even though the sample or test size quantities are small and expensive you'll save a little on shipping and over all cost of goods by purchasing as many supplies as you can with each order.

If you've run out of a test wick in a particular size there are online shops that sell individual size 5-packs as test packs rather than a big bag of 80 with 5 of each size (many of which you may never need). These smaller test packs can usually be found for about $0.99 each or so. If you've narrowed your wick selection down to a size +/- that may be a better route to go until you are ready to buy in bulk of 100/each or 1000/each.

Once you've got your recipe down and only need a size or two of wicks it's time to go big and get a better value for your dollar. Shop around for your brand/size and compare prices delivered to your door. Even then, you're still going to want to combine purchases when you can to get the best ROI. Get a spreadsheet going and set up a tab for each supply and record suppliers cost. You'll see at a glance which supplies/suppliers combine for the best price.

Hit every supplier site you can find and sign up for their email newsletters/promos. Watch for specials on samples and other supplies that can save you a bit if cash. Especially the % or $ discounts like "save x amount when you spend y amount or more" coupons. You need every savings you can get when buying small.

Hope this helps. Happy crafting!

Edited by Node11
added a bit more info

Thanks Node! That is really helpful, I haven't seen any of the small .99$ packs, so I will have to search a little further. And I'm really bad not to sign up for newsletters because of spam, but I will take your advice and do that too. It is definitely expensive starting out and not really knowing exactly what "system" works for you yet. Thankfully, I wasn't expecting this to be a big money-saver or anything - I've read this board for far too long to try and convince myself that this is an inexpensive venture ;)

Thanks again!

I usually order a grocery list of items from a supplier. You can look at your check out invoice and see how the shipping rate adjusts to whatever you are buying. Some suppliers have better shipping rates and alternatives than others; this will be reflected in the estimated shipping cost. Bulk is not necessarily expensive in the long run on some items. Free shipping or a bulk rate can be very cost effective no matter what phase you are at in your business. HTH

Steve

Yeah, I have a separate Gmail for my job currently, and I was going to use my personal one for candles, but I may make on specifically for it. Good idea, and thanks for the head's up on NG, I see that they do have small packs.

Steve, do you know off the top of your head which suppliers offer free shipping with larger orders? The few I've looked at (CS, Flaming Candle Co - both are close-ish to me) don't seem to do anything like that. Just curious what kind of minimums places may require for free shipping offers.

Thanks again you guys!

I ended up buying wick in rolls. I have way more than I can use, but if I want to experiment or test, I generally don't need to order anything. I'd be glad to share some.

You may also find in the classifieds here that folks regularly have wicks for sale. If you post what you are In Search Of, someone might just respond.

That's awesome Eric, thanks. I'm definitely going to try what I ordered (samples of htp, zinc, and Eco's & 100 ct of HTP 62 and LX 14 based on the CS recommendations) and see how those all go, then I think I should have a better idea of what I will actually need and what I can totally rule out. I have no idea what to expect, but a lot of people say the CS recommendations are really under wicked.