4794 smells like petroleum

Month or so ago i got 60# of 4794 from CS. been struggling to wick it and to get a good ht. i was testing purely peppermint from peaks today. trying three different wicks. all i could smell was a very heavy gas odor. guess the petroleum. i thought i read that other people experienced this few months ago. could i have gotten a bad batch. which is leading to my troubles.

also sorry for the multiple post today.

I had the same issue with that fragrance. I'm using 6006 and the cold throw is wonderful! As soon as I light the candle all I can smell is an overwhelming kerosene. Like I just spilled it on my shoes.

It's really disappointing. If anyone can get purely peppermint (peaks) or jack frost (candlewic) to throw without the strong kerosene stink I would be open to suggestions as well.

It's probably the fragrance, not the wax. Though I do pick up a slight petroleum odor from the 1343, that is the scent of the wax out of the box.

Most likely it's the fragrance oil; some fragrances are more prone to put off the "kerosene" smell, and some people are more sensitive to it than others.

Tell us what company you are getting the oil from. Some people have luck adding a bit of vanilla to the peppermint.

Some people have luck adding a bit of vanilla to the peppermint.

I have read this before, and that is why I bought Jack Frost from Candlewic. It's a lovely peppermint with vanilla and out of the bottle it is lovely. When I burned it as a tealight with the TL wicks or in 6006 with LX wicks it was the worst "Kerosene" stink of any peppermint I have tried. Love the fragrance and I am willing to use ANY wax I have to to use this fragrance.

So far I have had 0 success with any peppermint I have tried. The Jack Frost made my daughter VERY ill inside 20 minutes.

Try Icy Peppermint from AH/RE "Icy cool, fresh, strong, straight peppermint. A very crisp and clean mint." A little goes a long way with peppermint IMHO. I never could sell Jack Frost. I used to get my peppermint from Tennessee Candle Supply until they went out of business and have used Southwest Candle Supply straight peppermint. HTH

Steve