How to you Clean a Direct Heat Melter?

blt212

I have a Coogar Direct Heat Melter and I really need to completely drain it and clean it. There's a brown residue on the sides and it doesn't just wipe off. Anyone know how to get this stuff off, maybe a degreaser? I don't want to use something that will be a problem when I refill...

Thank you!!

Not sure this will work but I will throw it out there. Have you tried Goo Gone? I am always amazed at how it can clean grease and grime, sticky stuff, glue, etc.

I have a different melter but it is a direct heat one. I occasionally drain out the wax and clean it with paper towels. Mine is a custom made stainless steel melter. In all the years I've had it I still use paper towels to clean it out and that gets rid of any crap or residue sitting in the bottom of the tank.

Thank you for the info....the paper towels aren't cutting it by themselves. Most of the residue is on the sides and mine is stainless steel also. I do have goo gone.....I guess it won't hurt to try it. I use C3 and it's kind of a mess.....I usually have it about 3/4 full so maybe that's why the sides got like that. Have a message into Coogar but haven't heard back yet.

Mine is not direct heat. We just cleaned it out last night, got most of the goo out with paper towels then cleaned with soapy water and a wash cloth. Finished wiping down with clean wash cloth and and it's ready to go. Easy! We only have to clean ours out 2 or 3 times a year. We have a 100 lb melter.

This is definitely not going to clean up with soap and water. I bet a degreaser might work but not sure if I should use it in there and then put more wax in it. I tried the Goo-Gone on a little spot. Didn't touch it. It's drained and the bottom wiped out nicely with just paper towels because it didn't have a buildup like it does on the sides...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/offbu1wzmio0rnm/Melter1.JPG

Edited by blt212

I know it's so weird..I thought it was supposed to be stainless....the bottom of the melter where there's always wax was fine. I sent this same photo to Coogar so will see what they say. The whole reason I got into this was because I'm starting to get some darn frosting on the bottom of my jars out of the clear blue....and after ruling out most everything starting thinking it might be the wax. I use C3 Soy.....So while I was emptying the melter.....I made some candles with my Presto and they looked good no frost...til I just checked them again tonight and sure enough one or two has some on the bottom of the jar. I'm ready to scream....I would give up dye in a minute but have some wholesale customers that won't!.....In any event, I'll probably have a clean melter and frosty candles.....BTW, my daughter loves that magic eraser......will need to see if I can find the one she gave me. Thank you!!