Zinc wick in 6006

So I've been working on wicking my 8oz mason jars lately. I'm using 6006 parasoy and 7% FO. I've settled on the LX22 or LX20 wick, but I'm contemplating trying a zinc wick. I have a sample pack arriving tomorrow from Peak and am looking for some help. There isn't much that I can find about zinc wicks. I'm looking for suggestions on which wicks to start with. I've read that the 60-44-18 is good? Any help would be appreciated :)

Edited by JerseyGuy84

Have only used 6006 a little bit and a long time ago. I've used zinc wicks and don't like them. Not enough fabric to wick the wax. The core does hold the wick straight up but so does high temperature paper (HTP wicks) and wicks primed with microcrystaline wax.

I get too much soot off of zinc and find other wicks that address my problems. Sorry, I'm not a zinc fan.

Guest OldGlory

I love 6006 with zinc core wicks! The fragrance you use will determine if the 51 or the 60 is better. Lots of testing involved in getthing the right wick for the wax/FO combination. Watch for sink holes.

I just started with this wax. I have been using 8% fo. I am currently testing a cinnamon from peaks, I am using the 62-50-18 wick. I have done a couple of burns and as long as the wick is trimmed, it is burning perfectly. If the wick is not trimmed then it is too big.

I'm assuming that a bigger wick is needed for a "heavier" FO? The issue I'm going to have is that I'm making these for friends/family right now, so I won't have time to test burn every FO (as I only have a bunch of 1oz samples coming) Time for a guessing game :) (for now)

I'm assuming that a bigger wick is needed for a "heavier" FO? The issue I'm going to have is that I'm making these for friends/family right now, so I won't have time to test burn every FO (as I only have a bunch of 1oz samples coming) Time for a guessing game :) (for now)

Not really a good thing to do. You family and friends could still burn their house's down. you need to test every scent /wick combo.

But you may get other opinions about this...

Not really a good thing to do. You family and friends could still burn their house's down. you need to test every scent /wick combo.

But you may get other opinions about this...

Completely agreed. I'm definitely not going to send out any candles with zinc wicks until I've tested them. I've done a lot of testing on the LX wicks, so I'm comfortable making those for now.

Guest OldGlory

I agree with Chris... testing isn't even an option - it's a neccessity.

Every new box of wax needs to be tested. I spot check my toughest FOs and go from there.

Every FO needs to be tested in every type of wax, and usually that mean testing more than one wick. There is no quick and easy solution, only trial and error. Not testing will put anyone who burns your candles in danger of serious harm. I hope you'll proceed with caution!

So I got a sample pack of LX wicks to try in 6006 in the 8oz jelly. I must say I think I like these better than the zincs. Seems to be giving more HT and is burning slower but burning good.

I am using a LX 22 in pumpkin souffle vs. a 62z.

In my lavender I seem to have to wick up. I am using a LX 24 which is burning decent.

I have been using 8% fo load.

When I order 1 oz. bottles I make melts to see which fragrances are most liked. I then buy a larger bottle if I intend to make candles. If you insist on giving untested candles to loved ones, I'd under wick them and make sure to tell them not to put the candle in an area where anything within a few feet could catch fire. Of course, the glass could break even in an open area and spread fiery hot wax everywhere. And under-wicking them teaches you nothing, if you're lucky enough to not over-wick them. I had my first candle making supply order on its way from Bittercreek and wanted to burn every last speck of wax from a large pottery container candle I had bought, so I could fill it with my new wax. Obviously I didn't know what I was doing. I left the candle in a pan in an open area on my kitchen counter and went downstairs. I know, I know. Luckily my adult daughter happened by and found the container shooting flames several feet high. I was lucky. Please don't endanger your family and friends with untested candles. I know my experience doesn't necessarily apply to your situation, but I shudder whenever I think about how close I came to burning my house down when I was an inexperienced candle burner and maker. If you over-wick and they burn the candle too long in a bad spot, you could literally cause a house fire.