omg, what do I do. scale off

I can't afford to test all over again. I came to a conclusion that my scale was not reading correctly. This is after I dumped almost half of a 1oz bottle of vanilla into my wax and the scale was shifting back and forth from 0-2 oz. Yesterday the same thing happened where I know I was pouring way enough FO in but scale was reading 0.

So I bought a new scale and tested it by pouring some FO in a shot glass and sure enough this new scale numbers start to climb and the test I did yesterday on my other scale, the numbers barely moved.

I don't think this happened all the time, but what do I do. Could this is part of why I am having such wicking and HT issues.

UGHHHH...I am about to cry. Almost 3 months of testing and I don't even know where I stand.

Take a completed candle made by the reading on your new scale and weigh the jar and write down the amount. Take a completed candle made by the other scale and weigh it and compare the two. If the readings are wildly different, its most likely that you have more testing to do. Not knowing what kind of wax you are using and the fo load capacity; it would be hard to predict how much effect too much fo would have on the finished product. Testing is something you will do on a regular basis for quality control. Just simmer down and be happy you caught the problem early and always make sure you have accurate readings by testing with a weight. You should consider investing good money on a reliable, sensitive scale and get used to weighing in grams instead of ounces for total accuracy. Postal (wal-mart) scales aren't reliable IMHO, go to Amazon and look up scales and read the reviews to find out which ones are recommended for what you are doing. HTH

Steve

http://www.amazon.com/Escali-136DK-Alimento-Stainless-Steel-Scale/dp/B0002KT52C/ref=pd_sim_indust_1

This is my scale for candlemaking and I love it. It has one flaw and it does NOT measure under 6 grams with accuracy. I have a micro-gram scale and so I use it for tiny amounts. The big scale is perfect for anything above 10 grams and I have been using it for 2 years now with great success.

I have brass scale weights and I check it on occasion and have not lost its accuracy.

A reliable scale is the foundation of this hobby/business. It's worth the higher cost to order one vs one of the spring scales that aren't accurate from Wal-Mart etc.

If you are shopping in the store, and they have scales on display to use you can give them a test with an Alton Brown trick. 5 quarters weigh one ounce, always.

My Weigh KD-7000 Digital Stainless-Steel Food Scale,Black

by My Weigh

4.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (64 customer reviews) | 3 answered questions

List Price:$89.99Price:$38.50 & FREE Shipping. Details Deal Price: You Save:$51.49 (57%)

In Stock.

Sold by TradingBuzz and Fulfilled by Amazon.

Details

5 new from $36.50

Automatic power off, AA Batteries (included)

• 0.1 oz / 1gram / 0.002lb / 0.001kg graduation
  • Removable faceplate cover to protect the scale
  • Stainless Steel Platform, Easy to clean, Durable, contemporary design
  • Product Features Automatic power off, AA Batteries (included) 0.1 oz / 1gram / 0.002lb / 0.001kg graduation Removable faceplate cover to protect the scale Stainless Steel Platform, Easy to clean, Durable, contemporary design Easy to read Large 5 digit backlit LCD display, HOLD, TARE, Beep & adding functions

My scale. Love it and this is a good price.

Edited by chuck_35550

With candles, one is never done testing. Just start retesting one candle at a time. The bad scale may have led to a lot of confusion that will quickly disappear by using the new one. I've been developing my candles for over 2 years now and I still don't have some right, partially because of time and partially because I haven't hit on the right combinations of container, wick, wax, and FO.

With candles, one is never done testing. Just start retesting one candle at a time. The bad scale may have led to a lot of confusion that will quickly disappear by using the new one.

This is TRUTH. I just make melts and even for just those, I have been testing solid for a year and a half. I still have 3 waxes that I plan to test over the winter.

You are going to need to invest in some good quality supplies. I recently read another of your posts (which involved a plastic measuring cup and microwave) and have intended to post back with my thoughts.

Someone here told me that "professional supplies help produce a professional product". I have learned that this is true. You do not need a ton of things but you will need some basics if you ever hope to create a product of a quality that you can sell.

You will need to plan to spend $100-ish on equipment (of course, wax, FO's, wicks, jars and such are separate costs). You will need:

• Presto Pot for melting your wax
  • Good quality scale (as has been suggested earlier here)
  • High quality thermometer
  • Some sort of pouring pot (many use metal, I prefer glass)
  • Items with which to ladle and stir

You really will need to make this investment to get underway.

This is TRUTH. I just make melts and even for just those, I have been testing solid for a year and a half. I still have 3 waxes that I plan to test over the winter.

You are going to need to invest in some good quality supplies. I recently read another of your posts (which involved a plastic measuring cup and microwave) and have intended to post back with my thoughts.

Someone here told me that "professional supplies help produce a professional product". I have learned that this is true. You do not need a ton of things but you will need some basics if you ever hope to create a product of a quality that you can sell.

You will need to plan to spend $100-ish on equipment (of course, wax, FO's, wicks, jars and such are separate costs). You will need:

• Presto Pot for melting your wax
  • Good quality scale (as has been suggested earlier here)
  • High quality thermometer
  • Some sort of pouring pot (many use metal, I prefer glass)
  • Items with which to ladle and stir

You really will need to make this investment to get underway.

I don't use a microwave. I have 2 presto pots. One has my votive wax in it and the Other has my container wax in it. Yes, I do use plastic pouring pots. I have one for each scent that I have.

I don't use a microwave. I have 2 presto pots. One has my votive wax in it and the Other has my container wax in it. Yes, I do use plastic pouring pots. I have one for each scent that I have.

I misunderstood, then. I thought you posted that you were worried about the steam from your water getting into the plastic measuring cup and altering the wax.

Once you get your scale issue resolved, then you have most of what you need to be on your way!

I am almost retired from making candles and tarts. Have Prest pots, Turkey fryer, plastic pitchers to mix in for over 100 scents, smaller plastic cups to pour with and a microwave. Been at this since 1999. I have used a microwave to remelt in for most of those years. It doesn't work with paraffin unless it's mixed with soy.

Any way, about your scale. Mine has done that before when it need new batteries and when it was going bad. I'm sure you would have noticed it before since we are checking the amount we are adding. Your just second guessing. Put new batteries in and see how it does.

The last scale I bought had a plug so I didn't have to mess with batteries. Love it. Good luck, it's not easy and can change with every order you make.

I can't afford to test all over again. I came to a conclusion that my scale was not reading correctly. This is after I dumped almost half of a 1oz bottle of vanilla into my wax and the scale was shifting back and forth from 0-2 oz. Yesterday the same thing happened where I know I was pouring way enough FO in but scale was reading 0.

So I bought a new scale and tested it by pouring some FO in a shot glass and sure enough this new scale numbers start to climb and the test I did yesterday on my other scale, the numbers barely moved.

I don't think this happened all the time, but what do I do. Could this is part of why I am having such wicking and HT issues.

UGHHHH...I am about to cry. Almost 3 months of testing and I don't even know where I stand.

Is the scale you are using have both an electric plug in and is it also able to be used with batteries? I got a new scale 6 mo ago, I plugged it in and discovered it was way off (after destroying a 5 Lb batch of soap....WAY too much lye) ...just on a notion I checked for batteries and sure enough the company had put batteries in it and I also had it plugged in...the one was working against the other. Don't fret!! We all have issues at one time or another and we all do get flustered.....just keep plugging on. Don't get defeated.... defeat your issue...it makes you stronger and you will realize that you CAN conquer anything that you have a mind to.....this is how you become the best chandler around! :)