Mixing Ecosoya PB and Nature Wax C3

I am fairly new been testing for about 5 weeks and thanks to a few of you on the board am able to get a decent HT and pretty candle with C3 by itself using eco 10 in a mason jars of different sizes all with a 2.5-3 lid

Today I decided to try clamshells I live by lonestar so the lady there in customer service is very helpful she suggested I used Ecosoya PB mixed with my C3 so it would not become too hard and crack if using on the PB and she said C3 was too soft. She could not suggest a formula just thought it would be good so.....I read a few threads here and did a 50/50 mix using 10 percent FO since PB can take 10-12 and C3 suggests no more than 7 (although I did get a pretty good throw following IMC's suggestions and my candle only cured for two days before doing a test), for clamshells I heated to 185 mixed oil at 180 and poured at 125 I got the prettiest darn clamshells that are not cracking come out of the shell perfectly poured at 2 and am already putting in burner HT is awesome......so

Has anyone mixed Ecosoya PB with C3 for container candles? I love how c3 looks and the only reason I would be blending it is because the PB can hold more FO I am looking for better HT, I have bought paddywax candles and linneahs lites and I still cannot get as strong a throw as those and i am wondering if this might work I do not use color and have not had frosting ect with C3 just looking for stronger HT but would the Pb be trying to pull away from container and the c3 trying to stick to it.........

If anyone has tried this how would you replace the Eco wick would you just wick up to burn the harder wax or would you go for a different wick altogether?

Thanks!

Edited by shicks

PB is for making pillars and would not do well for container candles. If you want to try blending waxes try with a container paraffin such as 4630. Start with 15% and go from there. C3 really does benefit from curing...2 days isn't long enough to get a true sense of it's ht capability. I've found curing for 1-2 weeks produces a great throwing candle. Imo, you should get to know the wax well before moving on to blending...could save you a few headaches.

Edited by lmc

Good advice!! You are right if I like the one in two days pretty darn good then in two weeks I will probably love it I need to be patient, I do love the blend for the tarts it is smelling my living room and kitchen in one burner not even cured but melts are easier than candles! I will wait I am determined to keep it all soy I will wait!

Thanks again IMC!

Sherry

Good advice!! You are right if I like the one in two days pretty darn good then in two weeks I will probably love it I need to be patient, I do love the blend for the tarts it is smelling my living room and kitchen in one burner not even cured but melts are easier than candles! I will wait I am determined to keep it all soy I will wait!

Thanks again IMC!

Sherry

Hi Sherry,

Yep I can agree the c3 really does seem to benefit from a longer cure time. I made some candles up and burned them after a weeks curing , wasn't too impressed with hot throw so put them away, then yesterday every time I walked past my cupboard I kept getting this wonderful smell, it was the c3 candles that I had put away and forgotten about.

I had not thought of mixing the c3 and pb for tarts, I am having a hard time making a tart that lasts past 8 hours, would you kindly report back and let me know how long your tarts are lasting?

Thanks x

I did not cure tart put in burner yesterday after it hardened as I could not wait so a week or so cure time not sure how much stronger it will be but I burned 4 hours yesterday immediate awesome scent throw, has been going since I woke up this morning so I am now at 12 hours and I can go outside come back in the kitchen and the burner is sitting in living room and I smell when walking through outside door......amazing.....so I should have tested one but for the large space I have always burned two melts from scentsy so wanted to test the same way as I burned in the past....I am thrilled at this point will be testing patchoulli, and Oatmeal milk and honey in near future as soon as this one fades. What is the normal time on a tart melt??? I love tart melt making working out well, now to get the candle to smell this strong and I will be a happy girl (using all soy so hoping with IMC's instructions and a two week cure that I will be happy, I have gotten a big improvement using IMC's instructions and only giving a two day cure my 8 oz jelly jar using only c3 and Kuzu is scenting my entire sunroom a 200 square foot space!)

Edited by shicks

Hi Sherry,

Yep I can agree the c3 really does seem to benefit from a longer cure time. I made some candles up and burned them after a weeks curing , wasn't too impressed with hot throw so put them away, then yesterday every time I walked past my cupboard I kept getting this wonderful smell, it was the c3 candles that I had put away and forgotten about.

I had not thought of mixing the c3 and pb for tarts, I am having a hard time making a tart that lasts past 8 hours, would you kindly report back and let me know how long your tarts are lasting?

Thanks x

My cold throw is great right away but the hot throw needs more time how long have yours been curing now and am curious about your hot throw. I remember my first batch thinking heck I can leave one open in bathroom and smell it better than when I burn it but that was when I was using 1 oz per lb and pouring at 160 I change to the 8.5 percent and pouring at 125 and can get a way better HT even in just a two day cure but set the rest to cure for two weeks cannot wait!

I did not cure tart put in burner yesterday after it hardened as I could not wait so a week or so cure time not sure how much stronger it will be but I burned 4 hours yesterday immediate awesome scent throw, has been going since I woke up this morning so I am now at 12 hours and I can go outside come back in the kitchen and the burner is sitting in living room and I smell when walking through outside door......amazing.....so I should have tested one but for the large space I have always burned two melts from scentsy so wanted to test the same way as I burned in the past....I am thrilled at this point will be testing patchoulli, and Oatmeal milk and honey in near future as soon as this one fades. What is the normal time on a tart melt??? I love tart melt making working out well, now to get the candle to smell this strong and I will be a happy girl (using all soy so hoping with IMC's instructions and a two week cure that I will be happy, I have gotten a big improvement using IMC's instructions and only giving a two day cure my 8 oz jelly jar using only c3 and Kuzu is scenting my entire sunroom a 200 square foot space!)

Wow that is good, think I will have to get some pb wax and try it out.

What fragrance did you use? I have found that some fragrances last longer than others. I'm not sure how long a tart should last , some say on here that they last for days however I have not been able to get strong hot throw over about 8 hours but I use the tealight warmers so perhaps that makes a difference.

My cold throw is great right away but the hot throw needs more time how long have yours been curing now and am curious about your hot throw. I remember my first batch thinking heck I can leave one open in bathroom and smell it better than when I burn it but that was when I was using 1 oz per lb and pouring at 160 I change to the 8.5 percent and pouring at 125 and can get a way better HT even in just a two day cure but set the rest to cure for two weeks cannot wait!

Well I think mine had cured about a month by then, I hate curing, I'm so impatient, I just what to light them up as soon as I've made them :)

Wow that is good, think I will have to get some pb wax and try it out.

What fragrance did you use? I have found that some fragrances last longer than others. I'm not sure how long a tart should last , some say on here that they last for days however I have not been able to get strong hot throw over about 8 hours but I use the tealight warmers so perhaps that makes a difference.

I had wrote I used cinnamon stix but that is incorrect it is Harvest type Lonestar, I used ten percent I still smell well at hour 16 but it is starting to become weaker instead of smelling from another room I smell only in the room it is in, I am not sure how strong a tealight warmer is I always use an electric. I am sure this is a very strong scent I will try an oatmeal milk and honey today and see if it is strong and for how long.

I have never had a candle improve its HT by curing for more than a week. I am not a big believer in curing and have never had a candle, paraffin or soy, improve to any extent. If you are unhappy with the HT after a week, then it's time to look for another FO or try changes in your system.

I have never had a candle improve its HT by curing for more than a week. I am not a big believer in curing and have never had a candle, paraffin or soy, improve to any extent. If you are unhappy with the HT after a week, then it's time to look for another FO or try changes in your system.

Thanks for the input! Wondering if you use C3? I am going to take a few an light at one week two weeks test your theory and may decide not to use the ones that take more than a week to cure , there is so much more involved than what I thought when I walked into lonestar candle supply with the idea that I am going to make candles! It is a fun journey though I do have a problem of wanting to pour daily hope it is just beginners excitement and that I am not addicted to chandling........

I don't use C3. Currently my candles are parasoy (my blend) but I and itching to start working on a new blend. Parasoy gives me a wider range of FOs that "work", once I have a bunch that I like I may revisit them in soy (464).

I am wondering if the longer cure time is specific to certain waxes I know reading the posts of the people using C3 seems to me they are all curing for 1-3 weeks depending on fragrance, I do have some that throw right away well in just a few days so I guess you are saying when you find those for you system those are the keepers and you dont bother with the ones you have to wait on? I am going to test all theories with c3, I do know that my favorite soy candle, I just found out was a soy blend after I started making my own paddywax is very popular here and it is a blend they say a kitchen grade paraffin or cooking grade paraffin all of their scents are amazing Hot and cold however they use all the very strong scents that I noticed my lavender apple is very strong and will throw I know it will strongly right away......oatmeal milk and honey may not make it in the soy I will test and see if it does improve in c3 over time Thanks so much for you input love all the feedback!

I've never seen a candle in a store that says, "Don't burn until (some date)." So in a practical sense curing is only an issue for the makers of the candle, eager testers. I am making candles for a November craft show and some will 2 months old by that time, others 3 or 4 weeks. And then, when will the new owners of the candle burn them, unknown, could be days, weeks, or months.

So I don't worry about curing. If it works for me after a week, I'm happy. I'd never sell an candle that required a month to have a decent HT.

Thanks RJ Daines for your input, yes for shows I am sure you start pouring way ahead!

I did just for kicks and giggles pour a 50/50 mix PB and C3 Today will burn in a few days PB can take a 12 percent load and C3 6 per my suppliesr and her an 8.5 as most say is tops I poured it 12 percent in a 4 oz jelly jar with an eco 10........it looks beautiful and cold throw is so good I want to eat it, used Kudzu scent, I do have another kudzu with 8.5 and c3 only to test the two against eachother in different rooms, of course in a few days i may see that the mix is pulling away from glass so will have to see how it goes just had to give it a try as I want an all soy candle but with a really strong throw

• 1 year later...

Thanks RJ Daines for your input, yes for shows I am sure you start pouring way ahead!

I did just for kicks and giggles pour a 50/50 mix PB and C3 Today will burn in a few days PB can take a 12 percent load and C3 6 per my suppliesr and her an 8.5 as most say is tops I poured it 12 percent in a 4 oz jelly jar with an eco 10........it looks beautiful and cold throw is so good I want to eat it, used Kudzu scent, I do have another kudzu with 8.5 and c3 only to test the two against eachother in different rooms, of course in a few days i may see that the mix is pulling away from glass so will have to see how it goes just had to give it a try as I want an all soy candle but with a really strong throw

Can you please advise how this mix went for you?

Can you please advise how this mix went for you?