Golden Brands 464 blend?

I am new to candle making and I am loving it so far. I have been looking into making/getting better at container candles everything I have read says that this blend works the best. I have tried the 100% soy wax from Hobby Lobby and was not very happy is this mix going to be better in terms of melt and less discoloring?

Guest OldGlory

I can't compare the wax from Hobby Lobby because I've never used it. I do use 464 and have for many years. My wholesale clients LOVE the performance of this wax. I built my candle business on this wax alone.

There are too many variables to say if it's better in terms of melt and less discoloring. Buy a small amount and test it!

Old Glory - Do you use the 464 alone, or blended with another wax? My only issue is the cottage cheese look after burning. Are you finding that it isn't an issue with customers? I'm thinking I shouldn't be trying to fix what might not be broken.

Guest OldGlory

I don't add another wax, just fragrance and color, like Chris. It seems I'm the only one who minds the tops after burning. The people who are buying my candles love the way they burn and the fragrance they provide.

We use 464 exclusively. For melts and tarts it's 464 with .5 tbsp/lb of 76 degree coconut oil and 1 tbsp/lb for container candles.

The primary purpose of the coconut oil is to "stiffen" the wax since 464 is pretty soft. My wife says it also increases the hot throw, but I can't tell. My next project is going to be a 464/Coconut Wax blend. My gut tells me the right blend of these two will get a near Paraffin hot throw. We'll see :).

We use 464 exclusively. For melts and tarts it's 464 with .5 tbsp/lb of 76 degree coconut oil and 1 tbsp/lb for container candles.

The primary purpose of the coconut oil is to "stiffen" the wax since 464 is pretty soft. My wife says it also increases the hot throw, but I can't tell. My next project is going to be a 464/Coconut Wax blend. My gut tells me the right blend of these two will get a near Paraffin hot throw. We'll see :).

Where did you find coconut wax? Interesting would like to try that!

Where did you find coconut wax? Interesting would like to try that!

http://www.swanscandles.com/store/soy_blends_natural_waxes.html

I have the major advantage of being in Washington, so shipping is around $20 for 50 lbs of the container wax, or I can pick it up when I'm in the Seattle area. Plus, CandleScience shipping out of LV has dropped our wax and jars prices massively (about 20%).

So I'm going to spend a great deal of time figuring out if there truly is a perfect ratio :).

• 4 weeks later...

I have tested many waxes and ended up picking 464 as my container wax. I used to add coconut oil (1/2 tsp to every pound) but did not notice any difference in throw or frosting so discontinued using the coconut oil. I pour mine at 135-140 and have very little frost issues. I do not pre-heat my jars so they are only room temperature.