Single pour my rear...

Ugh...I poured my third and fourth candles today and I ended up with sinkholes near the wicks on both of them. Grrrr. I am using 4627 and 8 oz. square mason jars. All joking aside, I am 100% sure I am at fault for the sinkholes, not the wax as I made two perfect candles yesterday using the same wax and the 4 oz jelly jars. I have been reading up and it seems like maybe I poured too cool (I poured at 160), however, on the 4 oz jellies, I poured at 142 and 150 and they turned out great! Well, I am off to buy a heat gun. Any suggestions an how I can avoid this in the future? Should I try pouring cooler than 160 next time? Heat up my jars maybe?...

Edited by denetteb

Guest OldGlory

I have no experience with 4627. I do have experience with sink holes using 6006, which I am told is about 70% paraffin. I pour a 4" wide jar, about 5" tall, never a problem with a sink hole. Same wax - out of the same pitcher in fact - in a 2.75 wide, 3.5 tall jar I get sink holes. It sures seems that the narrower the jar, the quicker it cools, and the more I have trouble with sink holes. What I do to avoid the sink hole is to do 2 pours. The first pour about an inch from the top.

I'll be watching this thread to see if there's an easier way to do it!

I use 4627 also in 9oz interlude jars. It barely makes a sinking around the wick at all but I still use a heat gun on every one of my candles just because I really like it to be a perfectly smooth finish. I've never done a repour/top off, and as long as I have my heat gun I don't intend to.

I use 4627 also in 9oz interlude jars. It barely makes a sinking around the wick at all but I still use a heat gun on every one of my candles just because I really like it to be a perfectly smooth finish. I've never done a repour/top off, and as long as I have my heat gun I don't intend to.

Do you use 4627 straight?