cd 5 vs cd 6

ugh.. I got a sample pack of cd wicks from candles and supplies. I put a cd 6 in one votive which it was struggling to keep up until almost the end. I put a cd 5 in another votive and it did perfect. Nice HT, no mushroom etc...

Could this be right or did they label these wicks backwards I am wondering...

Can't really say but I wouldn't be so quick to blame the supplier. I've seen similar results but in container candles with CD5 and CD6. Good new is that you've narrowed your wicks down to just 2 for votive candles.

Well maybe.... The one I had the "cd5" in was almost gone and I go to touch it to see how hot it was and man, the votive holder burned my fingers it was so hot. So I am going to try a cd 4 and see what happens.

My feeling is that CD5 is too large for for paraffin votive candles. I use LX-8 and even those can get a large flame when wicks are not trimmed. I'm experimenting with adding soy PB to 4794 to see if it tames the flame. A long tealight wick would probably work fine.

the flame wasn't all that big actually. but the glass was extremely hot. Hotter than it was with the wick that was labeled cd 6. The cd 4 seems to be getting a melt pool, but the HT is very little and it is mushrooming a bit. I personally like the cd wicks. My other choice has been lx 14's but I think I get a better HT with the cd's.

I guess I am just going to have to get some more cd5 and cd6 maybe from another supplier and start over.

Edited by chrisasst

I don't know what wax your using but with soy CD5 is way too hot in most fragrances for me in votives- I use the LX series now for votives only- CD and CDN for jars

And it's funny because the CD4 can be either be too hot also or not enough and a CD3 most always drowns out- I have 2 fragrances I can use CD3 in