I think I'm converting...to SOY

:yay:

I'll be sad to say goodbye to my J223 (not really), but wow, I made just one candle with KY125 and it was so long & clean burning I was amazed. I didn't let the candle cure for a week, I'm just too impatient. BUT, I think I'm sold!:drool:

Now me, I don't mind the tops...but should I be looking at adding beeswax?

Well for me I wait for wick testing just like the scent throw mainly because I have had candles that the wick was good the next day but after the candle cured out the wick was not right. Soy as it ages get harder not like palm but it does get harder but and here is a big but the wicking can go either way some times it to big some times to small but it was close to perfect the day after making it.

Welcome to the dark side, mwuhahahahahahah! *sigh*

Okay, so anyway....

I may be the oddball, but I only wait about 24 hours after my candles cool to test...I almost always do a later run (after about a week of curing) to make sure they still burn correctly after sitting, but for basic wick/container stuff, I pour one day, light 'em up the next.

B/w is totally a personal choice. I add it at 2-3% (depending on the weather), and I really like how it makes my tops look. Much smoother, and it also hardens the tops very nicely. That way, when people pop the tops to take a sniff, if they touch the wax, there's no fingerprint or chance that the tops will be disturbed. I think it makes it look much cleaner than if I use the EZ Soy alone, but some waxes have a great look without the b/w. B/w also has a higher mp than my soy, so it tends to extend the burn a little, it's a negligable amount, but I notice it. It's really all about personal taste. If you do test without b/w, then decide to add it later, you shouldn't have to change your wick, anything 3% and under shouldn't affect the wick size.

Welcome to the world of veg wax again! I hope you find much success and are glad you're venturing into something new!

I didn't read Danielle's post totally so hopefully I won't repeat anything. I didn't know that the wax got harder the longer it sat (I never heard of that either), is that only for certain blends? I use 100% soy w/ 2% bw. It does make your wax harder and helps w/ scent throw. I test the wicks as soon as I have a chance, sometimes 8 hrs, sometimes 8 days. For the throw the longer it sits the stronger it gets in soy so IMO its a personal thing when checking the wick... BUT now that Vicky says the wax gets harder the longer it sits I'm wondering .. because that'll change the wick testing :confused:

The change is not huge what I have notices is I get the perfect wicking but say six months later I burn a candle from that batch I made 6 months ago I will notice hang up or or it get to deep of a melt pool not like it was when I first made and burn the test.

I randomly pick candles out of my store and burn them sometimes the candle was made 2 weeks ago sometime a few month ago. So I am seeing things a little different than when I was doing it out of my home and never had any more than 1 or 2 month worth of stock on hand.

When I first notice it I started looking at reason why one of the things I notices was the older candles seem harder or would get that powdery puffy look. The powdery puffy and growing I attributed to FOs. So I made some unscented candle and let them sit checking them about every 2 week and compared them to ones I just made and yes they where slightly hard.

The only time I think this will come in to play is when you wicking is just barely there say you are using a wick that just barely get a full melt pool might over time leave hang ups. If you are wicking on the hot side it could actually help your candles.

I've noticed that same thing- the soy actually gets harder the longer it sits and sometimes the wicking needs to be changed. I made some soy candles scented with cinnamon bun, did my usual testing starting the day after I made them and thought the wick was perfect. I made up some jars and a friend of mine bought one. She mentioned that the wick was drowning out. I had a few of the candles from the same batch sitting around so decided to test one and found the same thing happening. It turns out I needed to wick up on that FO. So now I'm going through various jars burning one here and there just to be sure the wicking is right.:undecided

Okay, this is so cool! Thanks everyone!

Now do you notice a difference in cleaning out your jars with beeswax added in there?

I was just floored how clean my jar was when I soaped it up. VIOLA, like nothing has ever been in there.

I use about 2% b/w and do need to use hotter water and a bit more soap because of the higher melt point of the b/w. Not a big deal tho!